Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Irish Soda Bread....

We have had a beautiful day here today.  The birds were chirping, and there was sunshine!  The Husband worked outside in our vegetable garden.  We hope it isn't going to be very long before we will be able to plant for this season.

I baked some more bread today to serve for the adult day care next Tuesday.  It is already stored in the freezer.:-)

This is what you will need.

The dough before it is kneaded.

Nice and smooth, waiting for the next step.

A cross has been cut in the top.  Excuse the glare!:-(

                                                                             Baked and cooling on the rack!

IRISH SODA BREAD

2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients; add buttermilk and stir to make a soft dough.  Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead for about one minute.
- Shape dough into a round loaf about eight inches in diameter.  Put in greased round pan or on a greased cookie sheet.  (Using a Silpat means I don't grease the pan).  With a floured sharp knife, cut a cross on the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until done.  Bread will sound hollow when tapped with the knuckles.  Cool on its side before cutting.

Well, I haven't had anyone mention the "clue" in the last picture in my post from yesterday.  Of course, family members who are following along know they are "exempt" from "spilling the beans" on why we are counting the days until March 17.  Did you know there are ONLY 18 days until then?!?  I'll give another day until I may post something that will definitely give it away.  If you need to, go back and review earlier posts.:-)

We are moving right along in preparations for next Tuesday's lunch.  The next post will be for Exquisite Mint Sticks!  Be sure to tune in for that - and that final clue, if needed!

Thank you for following along.  It's great to read your comments.

5 comments:

  1. I have had those mint sticks, and I can tell everyone that they are heavenly! This soda bread recipe also looks easy, so I may try it first, since I don't have any whole wheat flour on hand at the moment. Thanks again for sharing! Yes, 18 days...!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may come through as "Unknown" here, but I know who you are.:-) Thank you so much for your compliments on the mint sticks. Was there ever a time that you might have helped bake some of them? I can't remember.

    To those who may be wondering - this comment is from my dear sister!:-) You are so faithful with your comments, Sister! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nellie, that Soda Bread looks wonderfully yummy...smile...and it sounds really easy. We will have to try it!

    I don't have a clue (pun on words) what to guess... All I can think of is it will be St. Patty's day! And if you're Irish it's really a BIG day...smile..

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, dear Sister!! I don't recall whether I might have helped make some of those wonderful mint sticks, but I know that I have helped to eat them, and they just melt in one's mouth! Yes, I still come through as "unknown," and have gone into my profile to see how to change it, but with no success. Perhaps it's best that I remain anonymous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a recipe like this for years. I want to make it for my St. Patricks dinner. When I get it made I'll send you an email with the picture. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

    Hey I'm trying to figure out whats going on with you on Mar. 17. Do we have a new little somebody arriving to your family? Am dying to know.

    Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete