Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Country Fair....

Recently we were able to attend a "real" Country Fair - complete with a greased pig, plus a stack of iron skillets, among other features!

Resting....  

Have you ever seen anyone try to catch a greased pig??  That was a new one for us!  This was an event for children, and there were three different age groups we watched.  The trick is to catch the pig by one of the hind legs.  These two pigs had already been through their rounds in the arena.:-)

Iron skillets....

One of the events was a skillet toss.  Have you ever tried to see how far  you are able to throw an iron skillet??  Well, that is one skill that I have never practiced developing, but I registered to participate in this event!  There were quite a number of ladies registered - more than 20.  I have decided, should I want to participate in this event next year I will have to do some practicing.:-)  While The Husband practices hitting golf balls in the back yard, I could practice tossing my 8-inch iron skillet.:-)

The Country Fair was lots of fun!!  There were some other things I will share with you in the days to come.  Oh - and some recipes!  That lunch for the adult day care is today!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.


10 comments:

  1. I cannot even imagine trying to catch a greased pig! I'm sure that was lots of fun for the children who participated! As for the skillet toss, I'm afraid I would end up causing bodily harm to someone who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time! Maybe I could practice with my hubby, though....hmmmm.... ;-) Looking forward to those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what fun! my grandfather always told me stories about greased pigs at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nellie, I've heard of trying to catch a greased pig --but have never seen it in person...

    Isn't Fall just wonderful--with all of the festivals and fairs????

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! You entered a skillet toss!!!!! I love it. What a good sport you are. :-)

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried to catch a pig or participated in a skillet toss, but both sound like fun. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of a skillet toss. I would have loved to watch you in that competition. :-)

    The country fair sounds like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would NOT do well in the skillet toss. I could barely lift the darn thing when I used to cook with one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I have never heard of a skillet toss but I think it would be fun.LOL Hugs, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck practicing throwing the pan, Nellie. You're a good wife, and a happy one, I guess; no mention from you about throwing it at hubby! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie this sounds like



    a BLAST!! I bet watching the kids get the piggies was hysterical!!! And I would have LOVED seeing you throw the skillet. Question though...wouldn't it ruin the skillet.?? Bet you had fun! Wish I could have gone with you!! N.

    ReplyDelete