Saturday, October 6, 2012

Time for salad....

Following the dessert in the previous post, isn't it time to think of something healthy?:-) 

Have some salad!

The recipe that I give you today will not fill this bowl, though it will make a generous amount.  The amount in this bowl allowed for a few more than 20 servings.  I don't think I've posted this before, but the recipe has been in my files for around 35 years.  It was brought to a Tasting Party we had as one of our activities in our Mothers of Twins Club, oh so many years ago!

SEVEN LAYER SALAD
1 head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup purple onions, chopped
1 cup frozen peas, cooked and drained
- Arrange in layers in large bowl.  It looks pretty if you are able to use a clear glass bowl.
1 pint mayonnaise
2 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- Spread mayo over vegetables; sprinkle sugar over all.
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
cooked, crisp bacon (I used Hormel Real Bacon Bits)
- Sprinkle cheese over mayo and top with bacon
- 12 servings

7 comments:

  1. i love this salad and it always goes over so well! yum! enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seven layer salad. I always have my daughter make it as it is quite a bit of work. The taste though is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have served this at many family get-togethers, and it is always a great-looking dish on the table, as well as tasting quite yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar on salad, that's a new one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is new to me. I will ask mama to try making it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made a 7 layer salad in years. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this stuff! Brings back memories of college. My room mates mom would it make it and send us home with leftovers!

    ReplyDelete