Friday, October 12, 2012

Ready for the Great Pumpkin!

One of the much-loved Charlie Brown special programs for me is the one where he is awaiting The Great Pumpkin's arrival.:-)  Here is something to help you enjoy the time YOU spend waiting for The Great Pumpkin.:-)

Before.

After.  
GREAT PUMPKIN COOKIES
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 one-pound can pumpkin
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 cup raisins
1 cup pecans, chopped

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
- Mix sugar, shortening, eggs, and pumpkin thoroughly in a large bowl.  Sift dry ingredients and add to pumpkin mixture.  Blend well.  Add raisins and pecans.  Drop batter by teaspoonsful on ungreased baking sheets.  Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from oven, and lift off with a pancake turner.  Makes five to six dozen.

This recipe comes from the Peanuts Cook Book, published in 1969.  It was an offer of the Scholastic Book Club, a source for ordering books when I was teaching.

The Husband has endorsed these cookies.:-)  After volunteering all day working on a Habitat House that our church is building, he quickly ate two of them for a snack.:-)  Then, he followed up dinner with a slice of Apple Pie.:-) 

The next post will be a "sneak preview.":-) 

Thank you for reading.  I really enjoy your comments.

15 comments:

  1. The Husband is one of those blessed people who may eat whatever they wish without worrying about weight gain! These cookies look and sound really good, and I'm sure they will vanish from your table quickly. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good. I love pumpkin. 'Had a craving for it last night and bought a boxed pumpkin cookie mix and was not impressed at all, so next time, it will be your recipe or my usual pumpkin-chocolate chip. Homemade's almost always better. :)

    And my mom and I always quote that line from the Charlie Brown Halloween Christmas special from the trick-or-treating scene: "I got a ROCK!" Poor Charlie Brown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww, I love "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" tooooooooooooooo. :-)

    Thank you for reminding me to watch for it to show on tv.

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi nellie
    mmmh these cookies look very delicious,and makes me hungry.
    thanks for the recipe,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! need to try these! even tho im home alone. its nice to have goodies on hand and i love to have something in the oven! or crock pot! enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pumpkin cookies sound very good. I make pumpkin bread often but don't think I've ever made pumpkin cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds good and looks delicious.

    Have a great weekend Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great minds think alike. I had a great pumpkin post today too! But, mine didn't reference food. Only the Charlie Brown characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be surprised if the husband didn't endorse these cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make the cookies and I'll make the coffee. They'll go great together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies look delicious.. I love anything Pumpkin this time of year. YUM.

    Have a great weekend/week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love anything pumpkin. I will be making these cookies and am book marking this page as soon as I finis commenting. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nellie, those look scrumptious. Don't worry about being late to my blog. It's better late than never! Love when you visit. Thanks! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, those look delicious !
    I've made Pumpkin bread a couple of times, but never cookies, I'll have to give them a whirl :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete