Monday, October 1, 2012

To start the week....

I have a little Heartland Samplers book, a gift from my sister, I believe.  She is good about finding little things with strawberries on them.:-)  Thanks, Sister!  This is a quote from that book that I think is a very good way to begin the week. 

                     "May you never miss a rainbow or a sunset because you are looking down."

My wish for each of you this week is that you will see lots of rainbows and sunsets!

I have a recipe to share with you, too.  It is very basic and simple, and I'm sure you have your own recipe that you like.  It is one of my favorite things to make with fresh apples.

Granny Smiths!

These are some of the apples we brought back with us on our recent trip to the apple orchard.  I like to use them for Applesauce.  The recipe I follow comes straight from Betty Crocker, so there are no special family secrets or custom twists.

APPLESAUCE

4 apples, pared, cored, and sliced
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

- Combine apples with water in saucepan.  Bring to boil; reduce heat, and simmer for ten minutes. 
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir until smooth.

Most of the time the apples cook up nicely into smooth applesauce.  On rare occasions, I will need the potato masher to help achieve the consistency I like.

Coming up - preparations for the lunch for the adult day care center at our church. 

I am excited that I have a new follower!  Welcome!

Thank you for reading.  I enjoy your comments.


9 comments:

  1. Thank you.

    Wondering if you ever made Applesauce in a crock pot? :-)

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made applesauce for a very long time. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just made applesauce 2 weeks ago. homemade is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great applesauce recipe! Would you believe that I have never made applesauce? Well, anyway, I'm glad you found a good quote from that little book from WAY back! I enjoy those books that have short quotes with great meaning, and that one comes in handy for today around here, with the rainy skies we're enjoying. Have a great day, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks nice. I hope you have a great week too Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nellie...the applesauce sounds yummy! Our local apple orchard doesn't have apples this year..sad... Due to a late freeze...

    Hope you are having a blessed day!

    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice and cool here in Baton Rouge....only 63 degrees right now. Apple sauce sounds like the perfect food to enjoy on this autumn-like day. Thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot the butter! LOL! I always load mine with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nellie....Love homemade applesauce. I made some last week in the crockpot. Yummy. Susan

    ReplyDelete