Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Not too pretty....

A few weeks ago, I baked several things to enter in the Fair.  One of those was an Apple Pie.  Well, when I went to shop for apples to use in the pie (I have made my pies from Golden Delicious for years and years!), the store just didn't have any good looking Golden Delicious available.  So, I made a substitution for an apple called Ginger Gold. 

The pie pictured below had made the trip to the Fair and back.  The picture is not too pretty because of the glare of the aluminum foil.  The instructions specified the pies be baked in a foil pan.

After The Husband has enjoyed it!:-)


Well, it was not a good idea to substitute the apples!  When the judges cut into the pie, it was too juicy, and they did not want a "juicy fruit" pie!:-)  So, it didn't receive a second look and came back home with us.  The Husband has declared that they missed out on a great-tasting pie!  The learning experience for me with this one is, "Use the same apple!"

Many of you may have a different variety of apple that you have found to be "tried and true" for your pies.  It would be good to hear from you in the comments what kind of apples you use.  Anyway, here is the recipe I follow, and have followed for YEARS, for both Apple Pie and Pastry.  They come from Betty Crocker, from "way back when!"

APPLE PIE

6 to 8 apples, pared, cored, and sliced
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons flour
dash nutmeg
pinch of salt
butter
- Combine sugar, flour, spices, and salt.  Mix with sliced apples. 
- Line pan with pastry. (Recipe below.) Fill with apple mixture.  Dot with butter.  Top with pastry.  Cut slits in top, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 50 minutes at 400 degrees.   If crust seems to be browning too quickly, protect with aluminum foil.

PASTRY (double crust)
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (Some of you may wish to use more.  I decrease the amount of salt in what we eat.)
1/2 cup canola oil
5 Tablespoons cold water
- Combine four and salt.  Measure oil into glass measuring cup, and add cold water.  DO NOT STIR! Pour into flour, and mix with spoon until it will hold together into a ball.  Divide in half.  Sprinkle a drop or two of water on countertop, then place a sheet of waxed paper over it.  Place one part of the pastry on the waxed paper, and cover with another sheet of waxed paper.  Roll out to desired size.
- It is easy to transfer the pastry into the pie plate.  Pick up the pastry, including the waxed paper, and let it fall in half over one hand.  Use the other one to peel back the paper from the top half.  Then position the pastry into the pie dish, and peel off the remaining waxed paper.
I sometimes will use three cups of flour, increasing the salt, oil, and water accordingly.  This is especially helpful if I am baking a 10-inch pie, which is what my Longaberger pie dishes seem to do best.:-)

Some people like to add a slice of cheese to their apple pie when they eat it.  That is good, I will admit.  However, nothing is better to me than a scoop of vanilla ice cream on warm apple pie!:-)

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments!



9 comments:

  1. Nellie, I love apple pie...I wouldn't care what kind of apple was in it.:):) You husband was the winner of that contest. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use Mac apples for my Apple pies. That's the kind which husband prefers and that's how I began making Apple pies, over 50 years ago. :-)

    I'm sure your husband was correct. Those silly judges missed out, by rejecting a juicy pie.

    Mmmm, a recipe for real home made crust, using canola oil. I've always used Crisco-ish stuff. Which makes it bad for clogging the arteries of course. So I don't make many pies.

    Perhaps I will try to make your crust, and see what happens. -gigggles-

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a tarter apple for my apple pies although I rarely make a homemade one anymore. Either Jonathan or Granny Smith and 1 tablespoon more flour.

    I think your pie looks delicious and I would love to taste it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with The Husband on this one! I do not make apple pies because that is not a real favorite here; we prefer all things chocolate! After all, the cocoa bean should classify as a vegetable, right? Anyway, I'm sure this was delightful, even if the judges didn't care for it. Your crust is always wonderful, and I also use canola oil in my homemade crusts. I think you also sometimes use whole wheat flour, and that makes a really tasty crust! Oh, and ice cream is good on anything, or even by itself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wearen't apple fans here either but I used to make them and I always used Granny Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always use granny smith apples and I agree with you that nothing is better than a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't make pies, unless it's chocolate. I leave the apple pie to Mrs. Smith. Mine would be lousy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just too bad. I just use Pippins. That is without my favorite Apple pie recipe in the whole world.
    It is what I still use. In fact the one I made Sunday my husband asked everyone if they had pie then he took the rest of the pie pan and a fork and finished it up. He said, to make that recipe every time from now on.
    So I bet if you had your favorite apples you would have won. Well, next year right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. nellie, it looks wonderful! my fav.apples are the golden too! my husband use to ask for an apple pie when he would work on peoples computers. he loved apple pie! i actually may do a rustic type apple crisp as i have a tree full of apples to use.. enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete