Thursday, October 18, 2012

How about a breakfast treat?

This is a recipe that I actually printed off the Internet last year, and they are a wonderful breakfast treat!

After.  
Oops! Forgot to get a before!:-)  This is the pan just as they came out of the oven.  If you are a fan of scones, I think you will want to try them.  Cookiemadness.net is where this came from, posted by Anna.

PUMPKIN SCONES
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 Tablespoons granualted sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoonn salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg

- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl or in bowl of food processor. Cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly.
- Whisk pumpkin, half and half, and egg together in a mixing bowl.  Pour the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and shape into a ball.
- Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick 9x3-inch rectangle. Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions.  Cut those three slices diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough.  Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. Scones should begin to turn light brown.  Place on wire rack to cool.

I cut the dough into four equal portions rather than the three mentioned, making 8 slices rather than 6.
Also, the recipe includes a glaze as well as an icing.  I didn't add these to the scones as we are not fans of such sweet toppings on scones.  This was the first time I have made these, and I think I will sprinkle some sugar on top of them before baking the next time I make them.  I also might enjoy some raisins in them.:-)

GLAZE
1 cup powdered sugar plus another 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
- Mix the powdered sugar and 2 Tablespoons milk together until smooth.  When scones are cool, use a brush to paint plain glaze over the top of each scone.  This should give you more than enough glaze!

SPICED ICING
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
- When the glaze has set, make the icing.  Melt the butter in bowl.  Gradually add the sugar and stir until moistened with butter.  Add the ilk and stir to get a drizzling consistency.  Stir in the spices.  Drizzle this decoratively over the glazed scones.

Wouldn't these be a good treat for a Halloween morning breakfast?:-)

A recent shopping trip resulted in some good bargains.  Some of them will appear in the next post!

Thank you so much for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

11 comments:

  1. I have never tasted a scone. These look and sound delicious. Sadly there is never anyone here for breakfast with me but I would love to come and share yours. Then we could go visit my twin.

    Have a wonderful day Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really do sound good! I'm with you about the glaze/frosting---I would much prefer a bit of butter on my scone, and if I want something sweet, a dab of strawberry or apricot preserves would take care of that nicely. Thank you for sharing the recipe, and I'm printing it out to use!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They looks wonderful and I really like that recipe. So after you eat them do you run around the block? I keep wondering how you do at your monthly weigh ins? I would be paying every single month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOOOO there!!! I love pumpkin anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi nellie
    i love scones like yours.
    the recipe sounds very good.
    have a nice time,
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 2pm and I haven't eaten since yesterday. Too bad I can't reach in the computer and grab one to go with my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is the Scone Maker around here. He can eat them and I can't... Anymore.

    Betcha' he'd like to try this recipe. :-)

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have out of town guests spending the night after our Halloween party. These look like fun breakfast treats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nellie....These sound and look scrumtuous! Yum! Thanks for all your sweet visits and comments to my blog. Susan

    ReplyDelete