Saturday, October 13, 2012

A "sneak preview...."

Today you get a "sneak preview" of the dessert I plan to serve to the adult day care on the first Tuesday in November.  It is waiting in the freezer until needed on that day.

Before.

After.  
This is Pumpkin Cake, made from a recipe I clipped from a newspaper in a small town where we lived over 39 years ago!  I have done the baking, and will finish with the frosting the day before taking it to church.

PUMPKIN CAKE
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoon soda
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix oil, sugar, and eggs together well.  Then add remaining ingredients. Bake in greased, floured tube pan for one hour at 350 degrees F.
- Cool on rack; remove from pan.
ICING
1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick butter, softened
- Cream together, then add:
1/2 box confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Pecans, chopped or halves
- Spread on cake; decorate with pecans, if desired.

There is a market here that is featuring lots of different pumpkin-related products - pumpkin cider, pumpkin pretzels, pumpkin almonds, pumpkin spice cookies - other really nice-sounding "goodies."  It would be really neat to put together a pumpkin-themed basket for someone.:-) 

More pumpkin recipes are forthcoming.  There may just be a break in cooking for a few days.:-)

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.

8 comments:

  1. And super that you have proved that you can freeze this, ahead of time!

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious Nellie.

    I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my!!! That sounds so easy, and we know that pumpkin is good for us! This is one I'll be trying, for sure! Thank you for sharing, and I know those folks at day care will enjoy it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to bring. It looks delicious and I'm sure it tasted delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually used to make a pumpkin roll that everyone loved. Haven't made it in years! It always sliced up so nice, with the cream cheese middle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh MY. That looks divine. The people will LOVE it.

    Thanks, too, Nellie, for all your visits to my beloved blog. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I were one of your senior citizen friends....they are lucky ducks !!
    This looks so good, I always think that tried and true recipes are the best.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete