Thursday, October 11, 2012

My favorite....and a better picture

My favorite treat to make with apples is Apple Cake!  I do not make it often since The Husband prefers Apple Pie.  However, when we recently visited a nearby apple orchard, I made sure to bring enough home so I could bake BOTH!:-)

The finished product.

This recipe comes from "The Table at Grey Gables." 

APPLE CAKE
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3 cups self-rising flour (not what I regularly use, but I usually have some on hand).
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups peeled, chopped apples
3/4 cup chopped black walnuts or pecans (I used pecans.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour a tube pan.  You may also use a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. 
- In a bowl beat the sugar and the eggs.  Stir in the oil.  Add the flour and cinnamon and mix until well blended.  Stir in the apples, walnuts, and vanilla.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. 
GLAZE
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk
- In a saucepan combine the brown sugar, butter, and evaporated milk.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.  Pour the glaze over the warm cake in the pan.  Let cake cool before removing it from the pan.

I think this cake is delicious!  It would be good with a scoop of ice cream or some whipped topping, but I am never able to wait for the extras to be added.:-)

As I mentioned earlier, I had apples for this cake and a pie both.  Here is a better picture of the apple pie.

The Husband had some pie!

The pie is baked in the Longaberger pink pottery pie dish in recognition of October's emphasis on Komen pink.

Of course I have not mentioned all the ways we enjoy apples, nor have I even begun to mention all the varieties.  I know everybody has a favorite for snacking as well as for cooking. 

Now, it's on to pumpkin!  What fun we will have with that!:-)

As our temperatures have fallen, I hope you have been able to escape damage from frost.  There are those who have said that fall greens are actually better once they have a little frost.:-) 

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate  your comments.

12 comments:

  1. hi nellie,
    your apple cake looks good!!!
    thanks for the recipe!
    i have my blog delete but you can me find here
    www.einfacherleben1.blogspot.com
    have a nice day my friend
    love regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I'd like a piece of that apple cake about now.
    I love to pick up a granny smith apple and just bite into it. Nice and juicy and tart. Better than candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite sure that The Husband will enjoy more than one slice of that yummy cake as well as his pie! These both look truly scrumptious, and I think I'd take a slice of that cake while it was warm from the oven! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. There is a book called "The Table at Grey Gables." Must look that up. See if it's the same Grey Gables, which I think of.

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope it is not the same. This book looks as if it would be delightful.

    "The Grey Gables" which I am thinking of, is not.

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would sure go good with my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love raw apple cake and apple pie. Save me a piece and I will be right there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious!! The apple cake is one I need to try over the holidays! Reminds me of the Apple Cake Tea Room from the good ole days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apple pie is on the list to do Sunday afternoon! Thank you for sharing the apple cake recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning, Apple cake yummo!!I need to find a gluten free recipe. Blessings, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your husband is very fortunate to be able to enjoy your wonderful cooking.
    The apple cake looks absolutely delicious. I can imagine the wonderful aroma wafting through the house as it was cooking.
    Enjoy your day.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apple season means lots of apples for snacking as well as baking. Another recipe delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete