Friday, May 24, 2013

At long last....

At long last, here is that recipe that I promised earlier for these:

30-MINUTE WHOLE WHEAT ROLLS

1 1/3 cups warm water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
2 packages or 2 Tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups bread flour

- Combine warm water, oil, honey and yeast in a large bowl.  Cover with kitchen towel and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and beaten egg to yeast mixture.  Mix vigorously, using a wooden spoon.  Add flour gradually, stirring until well blended.
- Turn dough onto floured surface (such as a counter top).  Use about 1/2 cup bread flour on the table and lightly flour hands.  Knead dough with hands until it is smooth and elastic in feel and appearance, about 5 minutes.
- Roll out dough on the floured surface using a rolling pin or pat it out with your hands, to about 1/2-inch thickness.  Rolls may be cut into any shape desired. (I used a round 2-inch biscuit cutter).
- Place on baking sheet or in a cake pan lightly coated with vegetable spray, sides of rolls touching.
- Let rise in warm place (such as top of stove) for 10 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until brown.  These needed only 10 minutes.
Yield: about two dozen 2-inch rolls.

This recipe comes from a friend who is known for her participation in groups such as home demonstration clubs.  It was published in the local news paper a number of years ago. 

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

13 comments:

  1. Nellie, Oh yum. Pass the butter please. I could probably eat a ton of those. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make the best rolls and breads!! Thanks for this recipe, but I'm sure mine wouldn't come out as lovely as yours. I have never really perfected the art of working with yeast, but I surely do enjoy eating those rolls! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a nice and easy bread recipe. I can't wait to try it.
    I am so glad you published it today.
    I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nellie, these would be dangerous in my house!! I'd want to eat all of them!! Nice recipe, keeping this one. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. super duper, healthy and easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks super yummy!! Have a great holiday weekend my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Thank you. They look delicious and I shall make them one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these do look delicious Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, those don't look like wheat rolls, but they do look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can almost smell these! the mock oranges grow like weeds. i have them everywhere and they are huge. they started out as twigs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nellie, that looks so easy and quick and yummy too. I'll give it a try. It's still raining today so it would be very comforting to have warm fresh rolls to eat.

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I really appreciate it.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heavenly, Nellie! I'll take some of that butter while it's getting passed around, he, he...

    Oh how I wish I was a bread baker:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Must try these! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete