Monday, May 27, 2013

The week-end....

This week-end, we added some trimmings.


Always we remember the sacrifices made by many for the freedoms we enjoy today.  Especially on this Memorial Day, let us remember to be thankful.

A trip to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning resulted in this purchase.

Chard!  

It was used in this.....

A chard quiche from Munchomom.com website!

.....and was baked in this dish.

Patriotic!  
Yes, the pie plate is Longaberger from several years ago.  I believe this design has been discontinued at this point.

The church picnic was on Sunday afternoon.  It was catered, except those attending were to take desserts.  This is what I baked to take.

A Weight Watcher recipe!

The recipe for the cake is really simple. 
PINEAPPLE ANGEL FOOD CAKE
1 box angel food cake mix
1 can (20-oz.) crushed pineapple in juice

- Mix together until no dry mix remains.  Pour into 9 x 12 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.  I store it in the refrigerator.

Sadly, we also attended a memorial service for a dear friend who had suffered with Alzheimer's.  While he was not exactly a relative, he was the brother whose oldest sister married my father's youngest brother, so perhaps he can be considered "extended family."  He was 85 and the only surviving sibling of 11 children. 

So - here we are at a new week.  Last week was a very busy one.  I will let you know about that in the next post.  Hopefully this one will have a bit more "spare time."  I am behind in my reading, and I want to try to catch up. 

I hope all will be good with you as you begin this week!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

14 comments:

  1. Good Memorial Day morning Nellie. I like patriotic themed things..dishes as well though I have none of those. I believe I WILL try the angelfood cake recipie. Sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Nellie. You have some beautiful patriotic things.

    The recipe for the cake sounds delicious. I am saving it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi nellie! the quiche looks wonderful! happy memorial day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love our nation's colors of red, white, and blue, and the meanings behind each color. Your decorations are really festive, and that dish has seen many tasty concoctions from your kitchen! Happy Memorial Day, whatever you have planned. I think we're just going to have hot dogs for supper, with a bit of cole slaw I plan to stir up shortly. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a nice week Nellie, So sorry about your friend. Sad too that he was the last of eleven. My grandpa was number 7 of 12 and within two years they were all gone. I remember thinking about how hard it was because they had all been so close.
    I love that pie plate. How festive.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nellie, I'm sorry about you friend who died with Alzheimer. It is such a devastating disease and it's so hard on family members and friends. At least he is now reunited in spirit with his siblings in heaven.

    I love greens of any kind and swiss chard is one of them. The quiche looks appetizing and so does the Angel cake with pineapple.

    In Canada, we share in the remembrance of the brave fallen soldiers who paid the price for freedom.

    Have a lovely and peaceful week.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Memorial Day to you, Nellie. We have an almost PERFECT day here on the plateau. I'm going to get the hose out and clean some deck furniture. Maybe it will get warm enough to eat out on the deck this week!!!!

    Your quiche looked wonderful--but that Pineapple Angel Food cake sounds terrific... Thanks!!

    Happy Memorial Day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. My MIL makes that cake and I can vouch that it's good!

    Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Memorial Day! Thanks for sharing your dessert receipe! Always on the look out for good WW ones! I'm a new follower from Musings by Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie, You are a cook and a half. Everything you make looks very good. I do love quiche. Sorry about your friend. Hope you had a good weekend. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pineapple cake sounds delicious and easy to make too. I like your Memorial Day decorations which serve as reminders of our heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for your loss, but he has gained so much! I am going to have to raid the kitchen now...both dishes look good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quiche looks heavenly. I'd like one more day for the long weekend to squeeze in all my activities.

    ReplyDelete