Friday, May 31, 2013

The Tennessee Blue Book....

When I was in elementary school, I remember there was mention of the Tennessee Blue Book.  I'm not sure when it was, perhaps the year we studied Tennessee history.  Anyway, it is certain that the Blue Book from those days was a bit smaller than this one.

Larger than I remember from childhood.

The Tennessee Blue Book includes a variety of facts about our state.  Of course, there is a listing of the governors, as well as important accomplishments through the years.  My favorite pages are the ones that illustrate things like the state insect, the state flower, and others.






There are also several state songs.  That is material for another post.:-)

You probably have a similar book for your state.  Let me know!

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.


10 comments:

  1. Nellie, We have two of those tulip poplars in our back yard. They are pretty with their yellow blooms. I heard a mockingbird once while in Kentucky and I loved it. I hope you get to hear them sing. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ashamed to say that I did not know all of these things about our fair state, so I thank you for posting this today. See, you never lose the desire for teaching others! :-) Have a wonderful day, and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember helping my daughter in school, reading from the Blue Book, in social studies. I still have her book today, and refer to it at least once a month.
    A virtual encyclopedia on the history and culture of Tennessee.
    Lovely reminder Nellie !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very educational little book. It should be used in all the schools in your state so kids would all learn more about their own state or maybe it is. I had never heard of that book since I live in Canada.
    Have a nice weekend.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter has your state flower growing in her backyard. It reminds me of a fairy, or a ballerina. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nellie. I didn't know about the Blue Book but I'm sure I could learn a lot from one. Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We probably do have an Illinois Blue Book. So many of our governors have been sent to prison that I really wouldn't want to read it. :-)

    I can see that there is a wealth of information in your blue book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a nice book. I wonder if California has a blue book? That would be so handy.
    I hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty cool how the mockingbird is state bird. I love those! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete