Thursday, May 9, 2013

The rest of the menu....

Happy Thursday to everyone!  I hope your week has been good thus far.  Now we are on the countdown to the week-end!:-)

It has been a rather busy week here, but that's almost a usual thing.:-)  

As promised, here is the recipe for the entree I prepared for the adult day care participants/staff at our church.  It comes from the Weight Watchers Best Eats cookbook.  I failed to get a photograph of it, so you will have to use your imagination.  The recipe is for 12 servings, so you may want to adjust it to suit your needs.  I doubled it to serve the number included in lunch.

LAYERED MEXICAN CHICKEN

2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
3 cups fat-free sour cream
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch strips
1 cup salsa

-Combine chicken and enough water to cover.  Bring to boil and simmer until chicken is just cooked through.  Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.  Cooking liquid can be reserved for a future soup or stew.

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and return to the bowl.  Add the sour cream, beans, chilies, 1 cup of the cheese, the cumin, and pepper; toss to combine.

-Place half of the tortilla strips in an overlapping layer in the bottom of the pan  Spoon half of the chicken mixture on top.  Place the remaining tortilla strips over the chicken mixture in an overlapping layer; top with the remaining chicken mixture.  Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of the cheese.  Bake until heated through and the cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes, then cut into 12 portions and serve with the salsa.

For this purpose, I served store bought salsa.  Also, I made guacamole and added some tortilla chips to the menu.  Shredded lettuce topped with chopped tomatoes completed the menu.

We have a glimmer of sunshine here this morning.  Perhaps the showers will hold off awhile.  That would be a real change.:-)

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.


8 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious to me! Thank you for sharing the recipe, and I'll probably do a variation of it here one day soon, or at least for a church dinner. We do have one of those coming up on May 19, and this might make an appearance at that event. Have a wonderful day, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have so much company for the next two week, so I will be making this. It sounds just like the things I love to make. So glad you posted this today.
    I can cook and do my chicken ahead of time and then put it all together.
    This is great thank you Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following you might not be a good thing! I skipped right over that recipe, LOL. My butt needs to shrink some more before I try anything new.
    Its just pouring here. I say bring on the weekend and here's hoping its a bit dryer! (But everything sure is green!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that rain that's holding off on you is headed my way. You should have kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We DID get a few glimmers of sun! Looks like another week before we get several days of nothing but sun in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you to cook for the adult day care staff. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. This sounds like a fantastic recipe that my whole family would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I´ve seen your blog from Regina (my simple life).
    I like the books from James Herriot. In English I read Every living Thing and I liked to watch the films, when I was a child....and still do!
    We have a few animals now (3 sheep, 2 cats, 1 rabbit and a hamster) and to watch them is so amazing.
    Best wishes
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete