Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Eat dessert first....

Happy Wednesday to you!  The middle of the week is already here!  I hope the week is proving to be a good one for you.

Yesterday was the day for taking lunch for the adult day care at our church.  As promised, here is that dessert recipe.  I saw it on the Life As A Lofthouse blog, and she gave credit to her friend Mandy.  It reminds me of something that I have made before with a different name.  Perhaps you have heard of a similar recipe.

HEAVENLY OREO DESSERT

1 (15.35 ounce) package Double-Stuffed Oreo cookies
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 packages (3.4 ounce, each) Instant Chocolate pudding mix
3 1/4 cups cold milk
2 (8 ounce) containers Cool Whip
1 (8 ounce) block cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:  Take a large zip-lock bag and place all the Oreo cookies inside.  Seal bag shut and place on counter.  Using a rolling pin, crush the cookies until they are small chunks/crumbs.  You want them to still be chunky and small, but not fine crumbs.

Set aside half of the cookie crumbs for the topping.  Pour the other half of cookie crumbs into a 9x13 baking pan.  Pour the melted butter over the crumbs and mix well to combine.  Once combined, press into the pan to form a crust.

In a bowl, whisk together the 2 pudding mixes and milk.  Cover and place in fridge to set.

In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese until smooth.  Slowly add in the powdered sugar.  Fold in one container of Cook Whip.  Spread mixture over the cookie crust.

Next, take chocolate pudding and spread over the cream cheese mixture.  Spread the other container of Cool Whip over the chocolate pudding layer.  Sprinkle the top with the remaining cookie crumbs.  Cover and chill in fridge at least 2 hours before serving.

Doesn't it look delicious?


Yes, there were leftovers from Tuesday.:-)  Not good news for my waistline, however.  I believe you are able to see how this recipe could be lightened a bit, but I didn't do any lightening to it when I made it.

My Tuesday was almost like a marathon.:-)  My routine is to take the food to church early - around 8:30 - and then I go to the Senior Center to play bridge.  I leave there just a little early to come back and eat lunch with the group.  Tuesday, I left bridge a little earlier so I could work in a trip to a market before going for lunch.  It was a tight squeeze, but I was able to return home with the pans, etc. and hurriedly drop them off.  The reason for the rush is that our chorus was to sing for the funeral of the husband of one of our members.  We sang "You Raise Me Up."  Not quite as well as Josh Groban, but nicely done, nevertheless.  Thankfully there were no "glitches," and I was on time for everything that was scheduled.

I even made it back home before City Girl came back through town on her way home from her conference!

Today will not be full of such activity - only laundry.:-)

Oh - there was another recipe from Tuesday I will share.  Perhaps tomorrow!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.






12 comments:

  1. I brought this to work a couple of weeks ago. It was gone before the day was over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe sounds delicious!!

    You are a very busy lady Nellie. Kudos to you for the good works that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum!! I am going to make this. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With dessert like this, who needs lunch????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, All I need is a serving of that dessert and a cup of coffee. YUM. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made that before, although it wasn't called same name. The kids loved it and so do I!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen a similar recipe, called "Chocolate Lasagna," because of the layering of ingredients. Whatever you call it, it looks absolutely sinful, and I would have trouble sticking with only one serving!

    I'm sure your friend in the chorus was blessed by the way her friends sang at her husband's service.

    You are always so busy that you put me to shame!! I think you might need to re-read the definition of "retirement!" Enjoy your laundry...you're probably already finished with it by now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite a busy day for you.
    I love the music at church and wish I had a voice that I could sing in the choir. I sing my heart out from the pews though and just pretend I'm in the choir. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! That sounds delightful. You had a busy day, but one that was full of fun and sadness. That is one of my favorite songs and I want it sung at my funeral.

    Thanks for all of the things you do for others.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at Oreo. What a
    yummy recipe. Sounds like a full day. Enjoy laundry tomorrow. Mine is stacking up again. With warmer weather, we seem to be going through more outfits from playing outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were able to to get everything done and even sing at a funeral. What a day. Glad you're getting a day of only laundry so you can rest up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum Nellie! i will have to make this! but only when i have company otherwise i will eat it all myself!! sounds like you are keeping busy, the days sure fly by dont they! will be back by soon, just wanted to say hi and thanx for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete