Saturday, May 18, 2013

Still waiting.....

....for these to bloom....

Peonies  
....while these are rapidly fading away.

Snowball bush

The snowball blooms have been really pretty, though all the rain caused the blossoms to weigh heavy, contributing to the drooping of the branches.

I heard someone mention this week that the peonies needed ants to crawl over them to take care of the wax covering over the buds.  Have you known that?  When we lived at the other property, the ants were very plentiful on the buds, but here - not so much.  If the wax coating isn't removed, the buds will not open, so I was told.

I hope you are having a good week-end.  Here, we had more rain last night, so the garden work is once again on hold.:-(  We'll get there!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

7 comments:

  1. I love peonies, but never knew they needed ants. Hope yours are glorious this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never knew why ants are always crawling all over peonies! interesting! each year as soon as my tree peonies bloom, it rains and wipes the flowers out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I never knew that about ants on peonies! I have noticed several bushes that have bloomed out completely, but have not inspected for ants, as they are in the yards of other folks who probably would not appreciate my snooping around! I did notice this morning that some of those lovely peonies have also been bent over by last night's rainfall, and I don't know whether they will straighten back up once they dry out or not. We shall see.... Hope your day is going well so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nellie, I have never heard of the ant/wax theory...but I know ants love peonies.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd sure like to send you my ants. They're everywhere around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought ants crawled over peonies because of their sweetness! Learn something new every day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought the ants were licking the nectar, I learned something new!!1 They are beautiful, aren't they, so are the snow balls, I miss mine so much its a joy to see yours,

    ReplyDelete