On this very day 39 years ago (on my 33rd birthday) our oldest child was born! She has been a delight through the years! We feel blessed to have her for a daughter. So, Happy Birthday to you, City Girl!
While we won't be seeing her today, we hope she will come at some point during the week-end. Her favorite cake through the years has been yellow with chocolate frosting. I haven't asked if that has changed, so that is what I will be baking for her. I will bake the layers ahead of time and freeze them, then will frost the cake on Saturday, at which point I will hopefully remember to take a picture.:-)
The following recipe is the one I will use for the cake.
DOUBLE QUICK YELLOW CAKE
2 1/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup soft shortening
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
- Grease and flour desired pans (round layer or oblong).
- Blend flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in mixing bowl.
- Add shortening and milk. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed with mixer or 300 strokes by hand. Scrape bowl constantly.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat 2 more minutes or 300 strokes, until well blended.
- Pour into chosen pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans; continue cooking on rack.
I have had this recipe in my files for many, many years, having clipped it from an elementary-age Sunday School leaflet!
I will be an "older woman" for only two days as The Husband's birthday comes along on this Friday! If you've done the math from the clue above, then you know how many candles should be on HIS cake.:-) We would probably set off the smoke detector if we lit them!:-)
I have noticed some new followers! Welcome! I appreciate you for reading. Your comments are always enjoyed!
Next post - Time for lunch for the Adult Day Care at my church! More cooking......