"What?" you say. "Is that today?" No. Bastille Day was actually yesterday - July 14. This is the date in France that corresponds to Independence Day. On that day in 1789 the people of Paris attacked the Bastille and captured it. I mention this as there is an interest of things French among some of our family. I chose French as my foreign language, and City Girl and Munchomom did as well. Munchomom has traveled to France a couple of times.
Thanks to Julia Child, I found this recipe for Tarte Tatin, appropriate for celebrating.
LA TARTE DES DEMOISELLES TATIN
4 pounds firm cooking apples (Golden Delicious)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon (opotional)
2 Tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons melted butter
- Peel, core, and slice the apples about 1/8 inch thick. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Butter, heavily, a baking dish 9 to 10 inches in diameter and 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep. Sprinkle half the sugar in the bottom of the dish and arrange a third of the apples over it. Sprinkle with a third of the melted butter. Repeat with a layer of half the remaining apples and butter, then a final layer of apples and butter. Sprinkle the rest of the sugar over the apples.
CHILLED SWEET SHORT PASTE
2/3 cup flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons chilled butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons chilled vegetable shortning
2 1/2 to 3 Tablespoons cold water
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl; mix in the sugar and salt. Cut in the chilled butter and shortening until small pea-like pieces remain. Add cold water gradually.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut it into a circle the size of the top of the baking dish. Place it over the apples, allowing its edges to fall against the inside edge of the dish. Cut 4 or 5 holes about 1/8 inch long in the top of the pastry to allow cooking steam to escape.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 45 to 60 minutes. Tart is done when you tilt the dish and see that a thick rown syrup exudes from the apples between the crust and the edge of the dish.
- Immediately unmold the tart onto serving dish. Keep warm until serving time. 8 servings.
Thank you for reading. I really appreciate your comments.