Thursday, December 10, 2015

What do you call them?

I refer to those occasions where you may be asked to bring a dish of food to a group gathering for the enjoyment of those attending.  In our area, this is known as a "covered-dish" or a "pot-luck," but I've heard there may be other terms in other parts of the country.

At any rate, this is what I took to one such event at our church recently.


Once again, I found myself in a bit of a rush as I was preparing this, so didn't stop to take pictures of the process.


As you can see, I've had this recipe for several years.  It came from a much-loved magazine that is no longer published.:-(  This was in the December 2007 issue of Cottage Living.

I will mention that I forgot to include the flour in the cornbread recipe.:-)  As a general rule, my cornbread is made from plain cornmeal rather than self-rising, and it also doesn't include flour.  


The Husband was glad there were leftovers to bring home!:-)

11 comments:

  1. Looks very yummy! I love potlucks, my favorite kind of get together... where I can get a sample of different recipes created by loving hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious. Everywhere I lived in America and Iceland we called them potlucks, but we don't have a word for them that I am aware of in Wales; everyone going to the gathering knows they are to bring a dish and someone co~ordinates a list to make sure we don't get bowls and bowls of potato salad and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have a sample. It does look good.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend from Indiana calls them "pitch-ins," and I guess that covers it, but you and I are from the same neck of the woods, so we call them covered-dish dinners, and I always love them!! That casserole looks delicious, and I would be happy to have some leftovers, too! Hope you're having a great day, Sister! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy. I usually call it a covered dish, but I've heard people call it potluck. Either way there is always too much food, and it's always GOOD FOOD!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a winning dish for a "potluck" to me !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie, I wanted to make something like this last week. I ended up make shredded chicken in a dressing with some broccoli and shredded cheese...Mixed together and baked. It was good. I used to order it a an Amish café. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. We say bring a covered dish here. :)
    trying to get caught up with blog reading.
    Thanks for the calender. It came in the mail yesterday. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Usually called potluck around here ... I do like the phrase covered dish though. I think I'll use that term next time I need to take one to an event.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Nellie. I look forward to sharing a lttle of our blogging journey together.

    Wishing you a beautiful day...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete