Friday, February 22, 2019

Is it a surprise?

Is it a surprise to you to learn that I love breakfast?  Today's post will illustrate yet another recipe that is good for breakfast!  I served it recently when a friend came for breakfast.

These are the ingredients you will need....except for the water that is needed to cook the grits!

Cooking the grits as directed on the package, this is 1 1/2 cups grits (3/8 tsp. salt) and 5 cups of water.
They are ready for the next step....

....adding that yummy cheese - 3 cups shredded medium-sharp Cheddar cheese - and 1/2 cup butter!
Stir until the butter and cheese are melted.

Then, add 1 teaspoon of paprika and 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, mixing well.

Now, we are at the point where we need to temper some eggs, so slowly add a small amount of hot grits to three eggs, stirring all the while.

Here we are!  Ready to slowly stir this egg mixture into the remaining grits.

Pour grits into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon paprika.

Now, this is the part I like!  Cover and refrigerate overnight!  Then, remove it from the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.

Yes, this is a different baking dish!  I had too much grits mixture to fit into that one dish, so this second one was needed for the "overflow!"

What a wonderful bowl of grits with that paprika woven through!

CHEESY GRITS CASSEROLE (recipe from a magazine or newspaper; can't remember which; have had it for years and years!  I glued it onto a recipe card, and the adhesive has yellowed!)

1 1/2 cups uncooked regular grits
1/2 cup butter
3 cups (3/4 pound) shredded medium-sharp Cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons paprika, divided
3 eggs, beaten

- Cook grits according to package directions.  Add butter and cheese; stir until melted.  Add Worcestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon paprika, mixing well.  Add a small amount of hot grits to eggs, stirring well; stir egg mixture into remaining grits.  Pour grits into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon paprika.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.  Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
Yield - 8 servings (I find this to be very generous servings!)

Now, you're ready to invite a friend to breakfast this weekend!

Oh!  By the way!  It may be a good time to bake a cherry pie, too!  Happy birthday to George!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Sister! This is one of my favorite dishes, and not just for breakfast! I've taken it to church dinners and come back with an empty dish many times. You can't go wrong with grits and cheese, and now I'm hungry again! Have a fabulous Friday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a wonderful recipe. I like grits but its been years since I made them. Thanks. Also a cherry pie sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks delicious! To make this vegetarian I would simply swap out the Worcestershire Sauce for Henderson's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you make it the night before, Nellie. It looks wonderful and I'm sure it is. I can tell you are a good cook. Thank you for the recipe. Have a nice weekend. xo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you call grits I call cornmeal. I've never tried it for breakfast. Your recipe sound tasty. I make Polenta with yellow cornmeal and it's a comfort food for me. It is cooked and I usually add some parmesan cheese in before and I put in a buttered glass pan in the refrigerator overnight and cut into squares and fried in butter and served with mushrooms, onions and a favorite spaghetti sauce.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete