Friday, February 1, 2019

A recipe....

When winter weather greeted us this week, I knew it was time for a pot of soup.  The first that crossed my mind was Potato Soup!

Sure enough, I discovered I had all the needed ingredients!

I melted 1/4 cup of butter in a pot.

Next, I added 1/4 cup of flour, stirring it until it bubbled slightly, about a minute or so.

Then came the addition of 4 cups of milk....

....along with 2 cups of diced potatoes and 1/2 cup diced onion.

Do you ever use Himalayan Pink Salt?  This is what I chose for that soup.  The peppercorns are available at the market packaged in a grinder, just in case your pepper mill is not functional.

Add the desired amount of salt and pepper to the soup, and bring it to a boil, cooking and stirring until the soup has thickened a bit and the potatoes are done.  (I use a cake tester to check the cubes of potato).

Is it soup yet??

You'd better believe it! Garnish with a little shredded cheese and bacon bits, if desired.  Sour cream could also be added.  Served here with a Corn Bread Stick. Thank you, Bisquick!

What is your favorite cold weather soup?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Sister!!! My mouth is watering now, just looking at that lovely soup! I'm not one for chopping my own, so I'd probably use a shortcut with frozen shreds or canned potatoes (shudder!). Crispy cornbread is always a welcome addition. Pass the bowl, please! Oh, I normally just open a few cans of veggies, add some lean ground beef, and call it soup. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup sounds delicious. I've made it much like yours, but have also roasted amall, quartered potatoes and added them to a recipe much like yours - just another potato in addition to the cooked-in-soup ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks delicious! Don't know why I'm the only one in our house loving potato soup? So I hardly ever make it but do buy it in the ready made soup section of our local Giant Eagle.I will come to your house for some next time!😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks delicious and just perfect for a cold winters day.
    Probably the best soup on a cold day for me would be tomato but cream of broccoli is my favorite soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my Nellie, potato soup is one of my all time favorites! Your's looks amazing and I'm sure delicious! I use Kosher salt and have not bought Himalayan salt yet. I'll have to give it a try. Have a great weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete