Thursday, February 7, 2019

Winter....

Though we presently have temperatures that are more like spring than winter, I am still focused on beginning the day with something warm and comforting.

Like this Whole Grain Cream of Wheat with bacon.  I hadn't tried Cream of Wheat is a number of years, and was surprised to see that it was now available in this whole grain version.  Yes, that is butter you see on the top of that cereal because, why not?

Or this bowl of deliciousness!  Following a recommendation from Susan Branch, I picked up a box of Cream of Rice from the market.  Topped with walnuts, cranberries, and yes, that little bit of butter peeking through, it was a great way to begin the day! 

Dishes in the first picture are Pink Dogwood Depression glass, a favorite of mine.  The bowl in the second picture is Strawberry Fair, now discontinued, by Johnson Brothers.

Are you a loyal breakfast eater?  What is your favorite?

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Sister! You have opened up such a can of worms! We do love breakfast, but we're not very healthy about it, choosing items that are bought from a deli/bakery at a local store, such as muffins, turnovers, cinnamon rolls and such other deliciousness filled with carbohydrates that I shouldn't have! I do love your selections, and though they would be simple to make, I'll probably keep being unhealthy for breakfast! Shame on me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My usual breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal with a bit of milk, walnuts and raisins and sunflower seeds. Sometimes I add a piece of fruit with it. On occasion I have egg omelette and a toast.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shoud be a better proofreader. "I hadn't tried Cream of Wheat IN a number of years!" Not IS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always eat breakfast, Nellie. Your's looks wonderful and warming and so pretty too! We do eat with our eyes first, don't we? Have a nice evening. xo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually had Cream of Wheat for dinner the other night! Not whole wheat but still delicious. Sometimes you just want something different in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had Cream of Wheat or Cream of Rice in such a long time. I may have to get some on my next trip to the grocery store. Your breakfasts look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother's been talking about Cream of Wheat lately - I can't abide it! :D But always have Wolff's kasha (buckwheat) for breakfast on my days off.

    ReplyDelete