Monday, February 4, 2019

Meatless Monday....

Have any of you become part of the "Meatless Monday" effort?  When I consider a meatless meal, my first thought goes to Macaroni and Cheese!

This version follows a recipe I jotted down, listing no source in the process.  What appealed to me was the fact that it is made all in one pot on top of the stove.

Ingredients needed are milk, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, Dijon mustard, and elbow macaroni, of course.  Not pictured, but added are a healthy pinch of both cayenne and nutmeg, along with salt.


First, place four cups of whole milk (I used a combination of whole and skim) and 3 cups of macaroni in a deep pan.  On medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring frequently to keep the macaroni from clumping together.  This takes awhile, particularly if you are starting with milk that is cold from the refrigerator.  You will have to taste test the macaroni along to see when it reaches that just tender stage.  Stir often, checking for consistency.  It will thicken as it cooks.


In this picture, you are able to see that the macaroni is beginning to show signs of gradual cooking.

Cube 2 oz. of cream cheese and 2 Tablespoons of butter to be ready to stir into the pan of macaroni.  Also, measure out one cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese.  These will be added, along with 8 oz. of shredded mild Cheddar cheese when the macaroni tests done.

Here it is, ready to add the cheeses, butter, cayenne, nutmeg, and desired salt. 

Grab your plate, and serve yourself!  It's ready to eat!

I found a need to thin this just a bit with some hot water as it seemed to set up quickly! 

Accompany this with your choice of vegetables/salad!

What is your favorite meatless meal?

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, macaroni and cheese, how I love it! I've been on a low carb diet so I won't be able to enjoy, but this looks wonderful, Nellie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sister! This looks so yummy, and I can't think of anything I like better for a meatless meal! I don't participate in Meatless Monday, but I see nothing wrong with that idea. Have a marvelous Monday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a vegetarian every Monday is meatless! Your Mac'n'Cheese looks so yummilicious and is making me hungry.

    ~~~Deb in Wales~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I tried that I would cook it in the oven because I'm sure I would burn the milk.
    I haven't made macaroni and cheese in ages. Yours looks good.
    No I haven't tried meatless Monday. I eat meat but always prefer fish to meat. I'm not a great fan of beef, I like chicken and pork better.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm that looks good. I really like mac and cheese.
    Not participating in meatless Monday but most Monday's we go to Brenda's for half price pizza so don't eat meat on Monday anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of my meals are meatless. I love mac & cheese.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie, you have been busy posting here, and I had no idea of it! :D For Catholics, we've historically had Friday as a meatless day, so I'm stickin' with Fridays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m fascinated by this method of cooking pasta- will have to try soon!

    ReplyDelete