Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Eat dessert first....

This being the first Tuesday in the month, it was time for me to provide lunch for the adult day care program at our church.  This means preparing for 20 people, which involves some preparation time on Monday, of course.  I began this while City Girl was still in town, and it was good to have her help with this particular recipe.  I must say that this was the first time I had made this, though I've had the newspaper clipping for quite sometime.  There are a few things I might do differently another time, but it is definitely tasty!

CAROLE'S STRAWBERRY DESSERT (I have no idea who "Carole" is).

1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 stick butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box vanilla wafers
1 pint fresh strawberries (really good around here now, as local berries are ripening)
1 8-oz. container Cool Whip, or other whipped topping

- Blend sugar, butter, cream cheese and vanilla together.  In dish of choice, cover bottom with vanilla wafers, followed by a layer of cream cheese mixture.  Cover cream cheese layer with layer of sliced strawberries.  Repeat layering process, and top with Cool Whip and a garnish of strawberries.  Refrigerate.
- I used a 9 x 12 dish for this, easily getting 12 generous servings.  It could be stretched to serve 14-16.

Comments:  The recipe doesn't indicate whether the vanilla wafers are to be crushed or left whole, so I assumed they were to be left whole.  The cream cheese layer is rather thick, and it was a bit difficult to spread.   I used the entire amount of Cool Whip to cover the last layer of strawberries completely.

Of course, there is no picture.  I was really into "running" today and wasn't able to be at church when lunch was served to the group.  I was told it was well-received, though, and there was just a little leftover that The Husband will enjoy.:-)

Thank you to the new followers for coming along to read!  I enjoy reading your comments!

Next post - May be sooner than you think!:-)

8 comments:

  1. This really sounds tasty; just perfect for the warmer weather we've been having this week! I'm wondering whether perhaps the wafers should be crushed and mixed with the butter, to make a sort of crust that would be easier to spread with the cream cheese mixture. Well, I'm sure it was enjoyed by all who partook, and you will figure out the right adjustments to try the next time. Thank you for sharing another good crowd-pleaser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it ! Thanks for sharing joann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this too. Strawberries are always a favorite at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh-this sounds wonderful. Carole has a wonderful recipe here- no matter WHO she is! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh..this sounds like a great recipe..I do love strawberries!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of those great just put-it-together desserts. :-) You'd need that kind! With 20 people to serve!!!

    "A fine bunch of water lilies you turned out to be.
    I'd like to see anybody make me wash,
    if I didn't wanna."

    ~Grumpy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds wonderful, I love these kind of desserts, not to mention it is kind of a variation of banana pudding, I like strawberries better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious Nellie. I bet they really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete