Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Time for a book review....

There is a group of us over on Twitter who have connected through our following of Susan Branch, and a number of months ago, we began a book club.  We have read a variety of selections through the months, of course including the latest three of Susan's own books.

Our most recent selection was this one....

 I have read other selections by Sue Monk Kidd....The Secret Life of Bees, The Mermaid Chair, The Dance of the Dissident Daughter (autobiographical)....and have enjoyed each one.  The Invention of Wings is a work of fiction, though inspired by actual historical facts.

Sarah Grimke and her sister Abigail are historically known as abolitionists during the years before the Civil War when slavery was widely practiced in the Charleston, SC area where their home was located.  The Grimke family was no different from others in their area, and Sarah was presented with her own personal slave, Handful (or Hetty), as a 12th birthday "gift."

There was something about the whole slavery issue that didn't set well with Sarah, and she attempted to cancel that sort of relationship with Handful.  She quickly learned, however, that her approach was not accepted by the family.  Neither was her desire to embark on an educational path that would lead her in her father's footsteps.  These were the days when women just didn't enter the professional world that was dominated by men.

Sarah was not to be deterred, however, and becoming an influence on her younger sister, Abigail, the two of them eventually set out to mount opposition to slavery and calling for the freeing of slaves.

The novel inserts fictional accounts, though based on what has been learned through the years, of the interaction between slaves and their "masters," as well as their fate as they maneuvered through their difficult existence.  It is my opinion that one of the darkest spots in our history is the practice of slavery.

Are you giving yourself time for reading these days?  What are you currently reading?  Have you read anything you would recommend recently?

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really compelling book, Sister! One that I've recently completed is "This Promise of Change," written by our own Jo Ann Allen Boyce, who was one of the Clinton 12 from your time at Clinton High School. I've had the privilege of meeting Mrs. Boyce in person, and find her to be absolutely delightful! This book is written in a format of verse instead of paragraph, and I laughed and cried at many parts of it. I recommend this book highly, not just for adults but for teens as well. This was another dark time in our nation's history, when people of color (especially in the south) weren't allowed to attend the same schools as white children. Very sad, but part of our history that we cannot ignore. Have a lovely day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading about Saint John Bosco and Saint Thomas Aquinas. I find the life of the saints has a lot to teach us.

    I saw my first Robin this morning and my husband asked me, Did you made a wish? I said no, I was so busy looking at it. We still have a lot of snow and it was still very cold this morning but he was happily singing in the tree.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book review. It sounds really interesting. For my book club online I am reading The Deans Watch by Elisabeth Goudge. I am reading Tomatoes love Carrots and taking notes. Of course, Exodus. I could go on and on all of the things I have stacked next to my chair. Like My Cousin Rachel, by Dauphne duMaurier.
    I think I could recommend all of it if a person was interested. I still read old authors, Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like her writing so I just jotted this book down to get from the library. I have FINALLY quit buying books after all these years. lol
    Thanks for the recommendation. I have not had much chance to read now that I am back working full time. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have given a very good book review and summary of this book, Nellie! It is one of the more memorable books we have read, one I'm sure not to forget. It was a horrible time in our nation's history and the repercussions of the evil of slavery are still felt today.

    ReplyDelete