Thursday, June 5, 2014

In the kitchen - Part 3....

Good Thursday morning to you!  The predicted storms did not occur here overnight, nor did we have the rainfall that was hoped would come with them.  We are nearly six inches behind in average rainfall for this point in the year, so we really do need rain!

I am tardy in welcoming new followers!  I have noticed that there are now 100 of you!  That certainly calls for a celebration!  A give-away, perhaps?  I will be on the lookout for something suitable in the next week or so.

Continuing with a "leftover" from the previous post, here is that picture I couldn't locate to go along with yesterday's recipe.

Bean Salad!

One of the benefits of this salad is that no heating of any kitchen appliance is required to make it, making it perfect to make on a hot summer day!

China details - Strawberries and Cream by Villeroy and Boch, now discontinued.:-(  This is a soup bowl from the collection.

Now - on to today's recipe.  This is one that we have enjoyed for years and years.  It comes from Betty Crocker from years ago.  Unfortunately, I have no picture of this one. 

CHICKEN SALAD FILLING
1 cup chpped cooked chicken
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Blend all together.  (I used the food processor for this.  Just don't make it too fine.)  Refrigerate.  1 1/2 cups. 

This will make enough filling for four or five sandwiches.  We prefer using a good whole wheat bread for them. The filling is also good for a stuffed tomato!  Place the tomato on some crisp lettuce leaves and sprinkle a bit of paprika over the top of the chicken salad.  Yum!  I should tell you that I've rarely made this without at least doubling the recipe.:-)  If you wish, a rotisserie chicken from the super market would work very well, and there would be no need to heat the kitchen for this one, either.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

9 comments:

  1. Nellie I do like me a good salad. one year ago, I would have never envisioned those words coming out of my mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried adding lemon juice to my chicken filling but I'm gonna give this a try. Sounds delicious.

    Hope you get some rain soon. My husband tells me it's going to be a dry summer.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for this chicken salad, as I have eaten it, and it is delicious! Sharing this recipe with my Facebook friends, too, as they appreciate a good recipe. :-) We did get a small amount of rain last night, but nothing like what some nearby areas got. Have a great day, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nellie, I love chicken salad, any way shape or form. It's my favorite sandwich fixing for summer. Yum. Wish you could have had some rain but glad there were no storms. We didn't have the storms either....but did get 1 1/2 inches of rain over 2 days. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bean salad looks so good. I love chicken salad too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bean salad and have one of my own that I make often.
    We had 1 1/2 inches of rain last night but had a sunny beautiful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie , love bean salad and this one is delicious , what a great dish to serve outside and will have to double it . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are making me hungry!

    I hope you have a restful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete