Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 14 - Flag Day

The week-end is here, and we start off by recognizing today as Flag Day!  This day has been set aside to honor our country's (United States) flag!

Reposting a picture.
June 14, 1777 is when the Continental Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as our official flag.  While it is not a national holiday, some states have declared it a legal holiday, according to information I have.  It was first celebrated in 1877, one hundred years after the selection of the flag.  Two presidents, Woodrow Wilson and Harry Truman, were instrumental in officially establishing a Flag Day.  President Wilson declared Flag Day as an annual national celebration on May 30, 1916, and President Truman signed the National Flag Day bill in 1949.

This is also Father's Day week-end.  I send along happy Father's Day wishes to any fathers who may be reading, as well as those others who are so deserving of having a day set aside to honor them.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

9 comments:

  1. I love the United States of America and I thank God that I was fortunate enough to have been born here!

    Have a wonderful weekend Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY FLAG DAY Nellie and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY tomorrow to the husband.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are proudly flying our U.S. flag today.

    Have a good afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a day that often is overlooked by people, simply because it is not "celebrated" by the media as it should be. It is always great to see "Old Glory" waving in the breeze---just gives my old heart a sense of pride for all our forefathers have accomplished to keep our freedoms alive. Have a Super Saturday, and give The Husband happy Father's Day wishes from me, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even know there was a flag day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was going to have my son, who was born yesterday, I wanted him to be born on flag day, he had other plans.
    I thought it would be nice for him to see all of the flags on his birthday.
    You know I didn't know that about Flag Day so I am so glad you shared.
    I hope you are having a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Flag Day Nellie! I did a post for Flag Day today also:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank God that we have the freedom to proudly fly our flag and worship as we please. The pledge always puts a lump in my throat. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, Nellie-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete