Thursday, June 12, 2014

One more chicken recipe....

Happy Thursday to you!  Are you having a good week?

One of the best things I am able to report about the week is the rain!  We have finally had rain!  Our rain gauge measures about an inch and a half since late Tuesday afternoon!  The garden is very happy!  There is still a deficit for average rainfall at this point in the year, but the rain we have just received will definitely be a big help!

Here is one more chicken recipe that I know isn't new to you.  It has been a favorite of mine for many years.  The basic recipe comes from Betty Crocker from the early eighties.

Out of the oven!

OVEN CHICKEN SALAD
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups thinly sliced celery
1 cup mayonnaise (I actually use less that this amount).
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds (I toasted these in a small skillet on the stove top.)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated onion
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 cup crushed potato chips (I didn't have chips, so used bread crumbs instead).
- Combine all ingredients except cheese and potato chips/crumbs.  Pile into greased baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese and chips.  Bake at 450 degrees F for10 to 15 minutes, or until bubbly.  Serves 6.  (We find it's possible to enjoy the leftovers unheated!) :-)

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments. 


14 comments:

  1. Oh, my!!! I could go for some of that right now! Great dish, and I'll be sharing this one with my FB friends as well! Have a great day, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nellie, that sounds wonderful. I'm copying that recipe into my file right away.

    Thank you so much or your visits to my blog. They are so appreciated and I love to know that you stopped by. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie I am glad that you're finally getting some rain!!! We have gotten some here the past couple of days too, along with some crazy storms :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nellie, congratulations on your 100 followers and I'm glad you finally got some rain.

    Your chicken recipe sound great. I love bread crumbs topping.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad the rain has found you! We have had almost 6 inches so far this month which is above normal. Makes up for not getting much rain last month.

    The chicken recipe sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder of this recipe. I used to make it often and we love it. Funny thing...I bought almonds at the grocery this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember this recipe. I used to make it all of the time.
    I will have to make it again. I sure loved it back then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems lovely, but I am trying to become pescetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, Nellie! Perfect for a ladies lunch, or anytime. Glad you are getting much needed rain. We have had our share up here, expecting more tomorrow. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie, This is my all time chicken salad. I put diced water chestnuts in mine too. For another taste, I will use B-B-Q flavored chips. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Gosh Nellie, I haven't seen this recipe in years!!! I most certainly think it should be revived. It's so easy, delicious and economical too!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing Nellie...Congrats on the Rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to make this over the weekend sometime. This sounds SOOOO good- thanks- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rain is a relief, I'm sure. What a blessing for your garden, Nellie!
    Thank you for leaving those comments on my blog. I appreciate them.
    I have not been very active on the blogosphere lately.
    Have a peaceful weekend, Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete