Tuesday, June 3, 2014

In the kitchen....

As I mentioned in the previous post, I have spent a bit of time in the kitchen recently. 

There was a request for volunteers from among my Circle members to make a main dish to take to serve a church family before the memorial service of one of our friends. 

The following recipe is one I chose from a church cookbook, actually contributed by a college friend of our daughters.

BAKED SPAGHETTI

1 lb. ground beef
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
1 pkg. pepperoni (chopped - optional)
1 jar mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 jars spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup Parmesan
Italian seasoning
Angel hair pasta (1 lb.)
- Brown ground beef, green pepper, onion, pepperoni, mushrooms, and garlic together in a large skillet.  Drain well on paper towels.  Mix with sauce.  Cook angel hair pasta according to package directions, drain.
- Layer pasta, cheddar, mozzarella, sauce.  Repeat.  Sprinkle with Parmesan and Italian seasoning.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

As I mentioned earlier, pictures of this process are non-existent.:-(  I have, however, a picture of the pan I used so you might be able to determine the quantity this recipe makes.

A large pan!

For this instance, I did not assemble the pasta in two layers.  I simply added all the pasta to the pan, then topped with the cheddar, followed with the mozzarella and sauce, then the Parmesan and Italian seasoning.  When I have made this before, I have been able to divide the entire recipe between two separate baking dishes (approximate 8x8 size),, layering as the recipe instructs.

Reports are that this dish was a real hit, especially with the younger ones.:-)

I hope this day will be a good one for you. 

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

11 comments:

  1. Even without pictures, I can see how this would be a hit! Thanks for the recipe, Sister! Have a terrific Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie I have had baked lasagna before but never baked spaghetti. Sounds amazing! I may have to try this one day this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, The good thing about that dish is....if there's left-overs they will be eaten...no waste. Blessings for a great day, you wonderful cook.:):) xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so good Nellie! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for a recipe like this, I already have my sauce in my freezer. I will cook some noodles tonight and make this. I like how you put the different cheeses on top.
    This will be perfect.
    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about that Nellie, you layer your spaghetti just like I do. I thought I was an odd one, lol...
    I use a large glass pan for this.

    This is my husband's favorite recipe. I don't bother to put it in the oven as everything his heated and cooked separate. I use some olive oil in my pasta after draining to keep it from sticking.

    I've done this in another way by putting the sauce over the spaghetti and then sprinkled the cheeses on top and put it under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese nicely. I love hot pepper flakes so I add some in my own plate. Yummy.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had baked spaghetti, I just might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a good, simple recipe. I like that kind of thing and am saving this recipe to try. I got home from a late meeting just a bit ago. Long day!! Hope you had a good day! xo Diana

    ps. whooo hooo- I see you hit your 100 followers mark!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to eat baked spaghetti in lieu of lasagne when I was a child. I haven't had that in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete