Monday, June 2, 2014

What is it about week-ends?

Happy Monday to you - the start of a brand-new week!  I sincerely hope you have some good things in store during this week.

It does seem, however, that week-ends are very often filled with plans that are designed to fill the time.  Such was the case this past week-end for us here.

Saturday found us on the road early, on the way to the site for a Conference United Methodist Women Committee meeting.  The Husband went along with me this time and "explored" a few golf courses in the area.  The Committee meeting began on schedule and ended at the expected time as well, so that was definitely a good thing!  Thanks to KA for keeping us on track!

On our return trip, we stopped off at the baseball stadium where there was an area gathering of alumni of Emory and Henry College, the college from which I graduated.  It was a special night at the baseball game, with a tribute to the Armed Forces in a pre-game ceremony.

Part of the action on the field.

Lined up alongside the field.

The group of people in white represent those who have lost family members in combat.


This crew was hosing down the infield.

Beautiful mowing job on the outfield!

A souvenir of the game.

Appropriate handouts to game attendees.

It was a great occasion, though somber as those members of the various armed forces who are no longer with us were memorialized. 

It was exciting to see other fellow Emory and Henry alumni!  Unfortunately, the Tennessee Smokies lost the baseball game to the Birmingham Barons.:-(

There has been a bit of kitchen activity here in recent weeks.  I'm behind posting a recipe - or two - or three.:-)  I hasten to add, however, that there are very few pictures of that "kitchen activity."  The recipes are forthcoming, though.  I hope you will return for the next post.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

16 comments:

  1. Nellie, That was a full weekend. How nice to see the tribute to families of our military. Hope your week is a great one. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a very busy weekend Nellie.
    hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah baseball, my favorite thing about summer. My absolute favorite sport! Weekends to tend to be busy don't they? Every once in a while I just want a weekend where I can do nothing but eat ice cream and pizza. Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very full weekend, but you are always busy! I sometimes get concerned that you are not resting enough to enjoy your retirement!! Of course, I'm a lazy bum, anyway. :-) I always enjoy seeing the tributes that are done at many public events, honoring our military. Whether we approve or disapprove of a particular war, we should always respect those who are serving our country. Have a marvelous Monday, Sister! We'll look forward to your recipes, with or without pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nellie , you are one busy lady , thanks so much for allowing us to go along with you on your busy schedule . Have a great week dear . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH I know what a great time you had 'cause I would have to had it been my trip. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy, the baseball field looks amazing.
    I am sure you have something lovely coming out of your kitchen. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nellie, thanks for sharing your baseball experience. I enjoy the minor league games and need to think about tickets for this summer. Somehow the summer just snuck up on me. I'll be sending your Grumpy Cat cards this week. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had another wonderful weekend, Nellie. I am glad you were able to attend the ballgame and meet some of your old classmates....how wonderful is that~~~~!!!!

    Have a wonderful Monday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the anniversary card, Nellie! You are so kind. We also had a baseball weekend. We took Josie and her favorite little "boyfriend" to a baseball game on Friday night. They spent the evening at the game enjoying snacks and coloring. It was a slow game but we had fantastic weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Between UMW and E&H, you do stay busy, don't you????

    Great set of photos..

    Hope you have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember playing baseball when I was a kid and I loved it then.

    Thanks for sharing your weekend.
    HUgs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  13. What's with weekend? You can do nothing, that's what with weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely weekend. Have a great week too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing pictures from your busy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete