Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer time is salad time....

Summer time always seems to call for salads, and today's recipe is simple to put together.  The recipe comes from the Konnarock Cooking book which I bought last summer during a visit to the former Konnarock Lutheran Training School.  Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the picture at this point, though I know I have it somewhere.:-) 

GARDEN SALAD
1 (1 lb.) can shoe-peg corn, drained
1 (1 lb.) can french cut green beans, drained
1 (1 lb.) can small peas, drained
1 cup chopped celery
1 green pepper, chopped
green onions, tops and all (as many as you like)
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- Mix all vegetables together.  Mix dressing ingredients together in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Pour over vegetables.  Let stand overnight.

We really like this!  It is a perfect accompaniment for a cookout!

GARDEN UPDATE:  The church community garden has donated over 60 pounds of produce to local food banks and agencies.  The Husband and I have donated 18 pounds of green beans to this effort.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate  your comments.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds really tasty, and I'll be sharing it with my Facebook friends! Congrats on that great effort by the community garden, and on your generous donation of those green beans! Have a wonderful Wednesday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had this salad, it sounds amazing an I copied it own! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a nice lot of green beans! Your salad sounds wonderful as I am looking for some cooler foods to eat this sounds wonderful. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news about the community garden.

    Thanks for the refreshing and healthy salad recipe.

    Perfect for our 97 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe sounds really good!
    Congrats to your church group for their produce donations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 18 pounds of fresh green beans can feed a lot of people. m..., love green beans... That is wonderful. The more you pick the more you get.

    The salad sounds great except I would have to cut down on sugar. It would still taste good to me with less sugar.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie, You better be happy I don't live near you...you would catch my nose against your window pane , a lot. You make the best foods.:):) I want to say "move over Martha Stewart, here's Nellie !" LOL. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of pounds of good food. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. You remind me that I don't eat enough salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete