Friday, September 19, 2014

What do you know....

....about Bhutan?  Have you heard of the name of this very small country tucked in between India and Tibet in the eastern Himalayas?  There have been efforts in the past to keep the country rather isolated from the rest of the world by limitations on communication from the outside world.

However, the monarchy, in 1999, permitted television to invade the country.  This was one of the reasons many young people opted out of the agrarian lifestyle of their ancestors and were motivated to try for work in other areas - behind a desk with a computer, for one.

In 2006, the king permitted other media to enter the country with the licensing of two private weekly  newspapers, creating another option for the young people who wished to forge a different direction than of their ancestors.  

Next came Kuzoo FM radio, designed to be a youth-focused station and originally broadcasting fro an old closet in a government building that housed the youth sports department.

It is into this country that Lisa Napoli travels to give a period of time to this radio station.  


Also from the UMW Reading Program list for 2014, this book is listed in the Education for Mission category.  Using her experiences in Bhutan, Ms. Napoli has written an interesting account of this brief period in her life.  Is Bhutan really the "happiest kingdom on earth?"

It will not be easy to put this book down once you begin to read.  It is one more for me along my path to achieve Plan IV during this year!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

11 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great book. Maybe you could give us your review on it when you get done reading it.

    Hugs.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this place, but know nothing about it, so this would be a most educational trip for my brain to take! Congratulations on your diligence in keeping up with your UMW reading! Have a fabulous Friday, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie, I met one of the parent of my g.son's groomsmen...she reads almost as much as you :):) only she said no way could she read 3 books at once. She is a retired school teacher too. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- That sounds like a REALLY GREAT book. I love stories like this!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very interesting book and I've put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to read that book. Though I admit to feeling bad that now they have access to the things that they didn't know they were missing.
    I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't help wondering if the inclusion of these things will alter their happy kingdom drastically.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read about this, its amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked back through your blog at other posts on books. Susie sent me over and said we both love books! I saw Jan Karon and Golden books, too! It's nice to meet you! I'll look for this book...sounds like one I would like to read! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete