Wednesday, August 28, 2013

That lemon flavor....

Once again I am posting a recipe that uses lemon, that favorite summer flavor of mine.:-)  This one comes from Martha Stewart, and is a wonderful dessert to bake also using that other summer favorite - blueberries!

Fresh blueberries from our garden.

Cake ready for the oven.

Turned out of the pan! Oops! Looks a little rough, but that didn't affect the flavor!:-)

I actually printed this recipe from Martha Stewart's website over ten years ago!

GLAZED LEMON BLUEBERRY CAKE

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking pan
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 Tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
2 1/2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup fresh blueberries

GLAZE
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeeed lemon juice
3 Tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest

- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Butter a 10-inch tube or Bundt pan; set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar on medium speed  until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl.  Add buttermilk and dry ingredients  to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Stir in the lemon zest and juice.  Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the the center come out clean and the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan.  Move pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.  In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, and the lemon juice and zest until smooth; set aside.
- Invert the cake onto a rack.  Prick the surface numerous times with a fork.  Brush the glaze over the surface of the warm cake, and cool to room temperature.  Store wrapped in plastic for up to 2 days at room temperature.  Serves 10 to 12.

Well, it is Wednesday already.  This is the day to announce the winner of the copy of Mental Floss magazine.  And - the winner is - Keith, the Optimistic Existentialist!  Keith, if you want to claim your giveaway, send me an email with your information, and I will have Mental Floss on the way to you!

The Husband drew names for me!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate  your comments.

17 comments:

  1. i love lemon and blueberries combined. i like lime and blueberries too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon is one of my favorite flavors. the cake looks delicious!

    Thank you Nellie for the wonderful cards. You are such a lovely, thoughtful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, lemon and blueberry are great together. My birthday dessert this year was lemon, blueberries and cream between layers of baked meringue!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nellie, that sounds delectable! I love blueberries, too. They are so abundant and lush at this time of year.

    Thanks so much for all your visits and comments, too. Love to see that you have stopped by. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie,
    This looks delicious! If you ever have extra blueberries and want to sell some, I will happily stop by after school to purchase some from you :) In fact, if you ever have any extra anything from your garden that you want to sell, I will always gladly buy from you!

    I am sure you have your own tricks for greasing cake pans, but I still thought I would share my favorite with you. I have yet to have a Bundt cake stick since using this method from The America's Test Kitchen Baking Book:

    Melt 1 T. of butter in the microwave. Add 1 T. flour (or cocoa for a chocolate cake). Use a pastry brush to get the mixture into all the nooks and crannies.

    Have a great day!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nellie, Congrats to Kevin. Oh boy that cake looks so yummy. When cake is that good...you sure do not need frosting,:):) xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, that looks delicious!

    Congratulations, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to Keith! I'm sure he'll enjoy that magazine! :-)

    That is a most luscious-looking cake, even with the "bumps and bruises!" I LOVE that combination of flavors, but have to be very careful with lemon, as it will give me a sore throat that lasts for several days. :-( Have a wonderful afternoon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cake. I have to make this. I have been looking though my cookbooks looking for something that sound really good. I think this will be it. Thanks. Congrats to your winner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nellie , boy , do that cake look yummy , br right over with plate i hand :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That lemon/blueberry dessert sounds great! Congrats to Keith, too! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to Keith. Don't believe I have met him. LOVE that cake and OH how I wish I had some blueberries. You guys worked for 'em though.

    We had a not too fun Monday but he's OK today. xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Keith.

    I had a blueberry and lemon pie. Delicious... I'm sure that your cake taste delicious too.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummmmmy! I wish we were there to eat it, Mom! Have a happy day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rumor has it that today is National Lemon Juice Day! I'm not too sure about it but, I am sure I LOVE Blueberries & Lemon together. Looks good, Nellie. Wish I could have just a teeny tiny bite:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete