Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recipe time....

Happy Wednesday to you!  Already we are at the midway point of the week. 

As I mentioned in the previous post, yesterday was the day for me to provide lunch for the adult day care participants at my church.  Let's discuss dessert first.:-)

I chose a recipe from my latest cookbook acquisition.  It is called "Brenda's Chocolate Zucchini Cake."

Ready to go into the oven.

Out of the oven.

Out of the pan.

Glazing time.

Time to eat!

BRENDA'S CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 (1-ounce) unsweetened chocolate baking squares, melted
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 cup pecans, chppped
3 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

- Combine first 4 ingredients and set aside. Beat eggs at medium speed.  Gradually add granulated sugar; beat until blended.  Add melted chocolate and oil; beat until blended.  Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until blended; add vanilla.  Fold in zucchini and pecans.  Pour batter into a well-greased and floured tube pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour and 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan 15 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on rack.
CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- Combine: 1/4 cup melted butter
                   2 (1-ounce) squares of unsweetened chocolate melted
                   Confectioners' sugar, small amounts gradually added by Tablespoons
- Mix together until glaze is of spreading consistency or can be drizzled on top of cooled cake.

As for the rest of the menu on Tuesday, it came from the deli of a nearby super market because the Labor Day week-end didn't find us at home!  Where were we?  More on that in a following post!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

16 comments:

  1. I got your magazine in the mail! Thank you so much :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got your magazine in the mail! Thank you so much :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky guy to get your magazine in the mail....
    That Chocolate Zucchini Cake looks simply delicious. I would have to substitute cocoa powder and butter for the chocolate squares but that's easy.
    Thanks,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm. I have never made one but heard that the choc/zucc cakes are wonderfully moist. I bet they all loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that looks sooo good! Of course, it's hard to go wrong with chocolate anything, as far as I'm concerned! Thanks for sharing this great recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent way to get picky kids to eat some vegetables, by hiding it in something they'll definitely go for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! Vegetables and a dessert all in one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks like the best zucchini cake i have ever saw, its big too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nellie , I love zucchini cake and yours looks so yummy and moist , be right over to get a hunk thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I LOVE Brenda's cake that is my sisters name I am going to bake her her cake:) B

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so sad but I would have to buy zucchini. I just can't believe I have admitted that too you. It looks wonderful though. I like how big it got in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmhhh. This one looks great. I should try to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I thought I could make this and not make a weapon I would, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! You can't go wrong with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks delicious. It certainly is a large cake. I love nuts and chocolate together and the zucchini would make it moist. Wouldn't mind a slice now for supper:)
    Happy days.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete