Saturday, September 7, 2013

Waiting for us....

The week-end is here!  Do you have any special plans? 

We were away last week-end.  We left, hoping the cantaloupe would ripen while we were gone and that there would be no pests that would take off with them! 

This was waiting for us when we returned.

The Husband picked this one - plus some others as well! 

As you can see, this one was perfect inside!  Not only did it look good, the flavor was also good!  We even took a melon to the neighbor!

The Husband hung aluminum foil pie pans on the pear tree the other day to discourage the crows from nibbling on the pears.  It worked!  The crows were not too happy the next morning, but they haven't returned! 

Some of you have mentioned signs of fall where you are.  This is the best indication we have had here.

Some of you call this Burning Bush.  Some of you call it Nandina.  It will really be pretty as fall progresses.

I hope you will enjoy your week-end.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.


15 comments:

  1. The cantaloupe looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beauty, yummy I bet too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you get a lot of pretty fall foilage where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful melons you have been able to harvest this summer! I guess the rain didn't hurt them after all! So far, we haven't seen any signs of fall around here, but it shouldn't be too long before there will be some changes in some of the foliage, and it will be lovely, as always. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one gorgeous looking Loupe, Nellie. (that seems to be what they call cantaloupe here in central PA:)

    Last year I had a surprise plant growing in my flower garden. I call it a surprise because I didn't plant it but I knew it was something. It turned out to be a cantaloupe! When I saw yours it immediately reminded me of last year. Oh how I wish I had another surprise this year, lol...The aroma is intoxicating!

    Love the "natural" approach to warding off those pesky crows to save the pears. GREAT that it worked too!

    Thanks for sharing, Nellie...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow---that Cantaloupe looks SO GOOD..... YUM... I love them--especially the home-grown ones...

    Burning Bushes are so so pretty in Fall. We saw some color in the Smokies on Thursday. I'll blog about it Monday.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice reward from your garden bounty. It looks perfect inside and out. Bet it taste way better than store bought cantaloupe.

    I call that bush a Burning Bush. Looking forward to seeing the red leaves soon.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. The melon looks so good. We had just the hint of fall yesterday and I loved wearing a light sweater and not turning on the air conditioning. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nellie, It good you beat the creepy crawlers to the melon. Your husband has out smarted the crows. My mom loved those burning bushes. They sure are pretty . Blessings for a fun weekend. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. i drove out to the country today and didn't see any leaves changing. i would guess maybe by next weekend. i have never liked cantaloupe.i just can't stand the smell or taste. my husband loves it but i won't even buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what I call a pleasant surprise and it looks delicious! Glad something didn't get to it before you did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my that cantaloupe looks so good. I like to put vanilla ice cream in the center.
    Good idea to keep the crows away!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Nellie , how yummy the loupe look , on my way for a piece so , gimmie , gimmie :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can almost smell that sweet melon smell from here. We have the Packer game and birthday party later today. It is almost 2am and I really need to go to bed!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a burning bush in the back yard. It does get stunning in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete