Thursday, January 26, 2012

Barleyburger Stew....

Gathering ingredients for Barleyburger Stew.

Browned ground sirloin and onion with barley, celery, and spices.

Tomato juice added; cook for an hour.

Served, ready to eat, with steamed cabbage.

It has been a very drizzly, rainy day here, with more rain expected overnight.  This just seems like the perfect recipe for a day like today.  The recipe comes from a cookbook I have had for many years - Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two, 1964 edition.  This is the cookbook I used through the years, multiplying the recipes whenever needed to serve more than two, and it has seen us through many, many meals.

BARLEYBURGER STEW

3/4 lb. ground beef (I use chopped sirloin).
1 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspoons oil (canola or olive){My adaptation; book mentions 2 Tablespoons fat}
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 cups tomato juice
1/2 cup hot water
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt {My adaptation; book mentions 1 1/2 teaspoons}
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup barley

- In large kettle brown beef and onions in oil, stirring frequently.  Add remaining ingredients; cook slowly for 1 hour.  Servings: 3-4.  The cookbook says 2 servings, but we have found that size serving to be too large for us.

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.

Tomorrow - What do you cook when you're gone much of the day?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my! This really does sound good for such a day as today has been! I remember that wonderful cookbook, and you have certainly made great use of it for many wonderful occasions with family! It'll be interesting to see what YOU do for a meal when you're gone all day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good, Nellie! Sometimes I will throw a big old piece of beef in for an all day oven potroast. Hope you have a good evening- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds wonderful and I have all of those ingredients too. I love barley. It sounds like the perfect day for this and it looks so good.
    I am getting ready to go to the store and I am writing down menus I will put this one on for next week. I love old cookbooks like that when they said fat.
    I have a really old one that the bread recipes are just fantastic.
    Have a nice weekend, Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy does this sound wonderful! I love my old Betty Crocker cookbook from 1962! Those were great recipes, none like them today! Can't wait to try this! Sorry you are having so much rain...however, we wish we had some of that moisture up here..

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete