Monday, January 30, 2012

A Vegetarian in the House....

Gathering ingredients for making Pasta  e Fagiole.

All ingredients in pot, ready to cook!

The finished product, ready to serve!  Yum!

Through the years one of our daughters has become a vegetarian; therefore, I have developed a collection of recipes suitable for her.  In this post, I will share one of her favorites.  This is a recipe that I found in a little booklet called Great-Tasting Pasta from the editors of Favorite Brand Name Recipes, March 18, 1997 issue.

PASTA E FAGIOLE
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (about 14 ounces each) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth (I substitute vegetable broth).
1/2 cup white wine, divided (I have used extra broth for this step if I didn't have wine on hand).
1 Tablespoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 3/4 cup uncooked ditalini pasta or other small tube pasta (I have tried other varieties, but find ditalini works best for this).
4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat until hot.  Add garlic and beans; cook and stir 3 minutes.  Add broth, 1/4 cup wine, basil, pepper and red pepper flakes.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Add pasta; cook 10-12 minutes or until tender.  Add remaining wine just prior to pasta being fully cooked.  Sprinkle with grated cheese.  Serve immediately.  Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.  Makes 4 (1-cup) servings.
NOTE:  This soup will be very thick.  Also, if it sets very long, the broth becomes absorbed, making it more of a side dish than a soup.

I'll post more vegetarian recipes on occasion.  Tomorrow I will post one from the Weight Watchers website - Chicken Pot Pie!

Thank you for reading.  I enjoy reading your comments.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds good, too. I have a sister-in-law that is a vegetarian and she has developed some wonderful recipes over the years. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie...wow this looks very interesting! Might be good for a potluck so it all gets ate up right away... I know sometimes when we make gholosh..the macaroni does the same thing! smile...

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes...the elusive ditalini!! I had never heard of that pasta until I found those packages at Big Lots all those years ago! This really sounds hearty and delicious, with "healthy" carbs. Thanks for sharing, and I'll look forward to that chicken pot pie next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother used to make this, but I never had her recipe. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete