Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ready for the New Year....

                                     

Poor Santa looks like he has "had it" for this year, doesn't he?  This is a jigsaw puzzle I completed a few years ago, and he hangs around every year to preside over our Christmas merriment.  I'd say he's ready for a bit of rest in this New Year.:-)

I was lucky enough to be drawn in Cindy's (Prairie's Edge Farm) giveaway awhile back, so I have a lovely new journal for 2012.  By the way, she has some lovely things in her Etsy shop.  Also, my very favorite calendar - Susan Branch designed - for 2012 is ready to hang in place.  Then, there is that bag of black-eyed peas, so necessary to eat on the first day of the new year, according to tradition in  my part of East Tennessee.


With new crossword puzzle books, I am ready for the unlikely event of a snowfall that will keep me at home.  We rarely have such snowfall, so I will have to come up with another excuse to work these crossword puzzles.:-)
But, today it was all about the food.  On the menu were baked ham, black-eyed peas, mixed greens (from the garden), roasted turnips, carrots, and onions, and cornbread.  Tomorrow's post will be "All About the Food - Part I."  Are you ready for some recipes?

How was  YOUR New Year's Day?  For those of you who are still working, will you have another holiday tomorrow?

Lisa, an answer to your question - yes, it is an OXO Salad Spinner.:-)  We LOVE ours!

Thank you to those of you who are reading, and thank you for your comments.  I love reading them.

Oh, by the way, our Lady Vols won their basketball game this afternoon at Auburn!

Happy New Year to all!

6 comments:

  1. We have a lovely snow storm brewing in West MI. Your food looks yummy. Happy New year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO LADY VOLS!!! Your meal looks just wonderful, and my mouth is watering just a bit! Since my DH does not care for black-eyed peas OR turnip greens, I opened a can of each and cooked them together for my lunch. I didn't do cornbread, since I was the only one eating that cuisine and didn't want to wait for it to bake, but I just might make some tomorrow to help me finish the leftovers. They'll still be good another day!

    You know that I'm always ready for recipes. I would especially like the one for that soup you had on Christmas day, if you don't mind sharing it.

    I hope that all of your followers will have a most blessed 2012, just as that is my hope for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie...what a lovely post! Love the Santa puzzle...just perfect for today isn't he?? smile... I'm so glad to see you journal too. wonderful things aren't they?? Your food looks amazing.

    Blessings,
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellie- Thank you for finding me because it allowed me to find you, too! I am signing up as your newest follower and looking forward to getting to know you. I should have saved our Christmas puzzle like you did so that I could put it out/up every year. Great idea. I hope your first week of the New Year is just wonderful- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nellie- I see that you are a brand new blogger. Do you know about Debbie Doo's newcomer party? She promotes new blogs or those that want to grow their blog (up to 100 followers) Just google DebbieDoo and it should take you right to her blog. If you can't find it let me know and I will email you the link. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sleepy Santa is really adorable! Perfectly describes the "after-holiday" effect. ;-)

    ReplyDelete