Thursday, January 5, 2012

Three Kings Day Bread

This is a recipe that is in the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, 2006 edition.  This was the first time for me to make this bread, and I am happy to share it with you!
Here are the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl with the eggs, butter, vanilla, and yeast mixture added.

To the left is the dough after being mixed with the spoon.  It really wasn't difficult to mix up this this way.

Well, I tried and tried to get this finished picture on the right to be posted at the bottom of the recipe, but you can see I have had no luck with that.  I will work it out one day, never fear.:-)
This is after kneading for 8 minutes.

Now, here is the recipe.

THREE KINGS DAY BREAD (ROSCA de REYES)
1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 envelope active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup mixed candied fruit
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2-2 Tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the warm water and 1 teaspoon of the granulated sugar.  Sprinkle in the yeast and let stand until foamy, 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, the remaining granulated sugar, and the salt.  Make a well in the center and add the eggs, butter, vanilla, and yeast mixture.  Stir until the dough starts to gather around the spoon.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured counter; knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes, adding a little more flour if the dough becomes too sticky.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray; put the dough in the bowl.  Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down the dough, roll it into a 16-inch rope and join the ends to make a ring.  Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and place the dough ring on it.  Decorate the top of the ring with the candied fruit pieces, pressing them into the dough slightly.  Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until puffy, 30-45 minutes longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Brush the dough with the egg yolk.  Bake until golden and firm, about 30 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the confectioners' sugar and milk in a medium bowl, stirring to make a smooth, thin glaze.  Drizzle over the top of the cooled bread.
I didn't add the glaze, only sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, because we don't care for the glaze on top.

I am part of a First Friday bridge group that meets at our church, and it is my Friday to be hostess.  I actually baked this bread to take to serve on Friday morning, along with some fresh strawberries and pineapple.  There will be leftovers, of course, and the Man of the House will be very happy about that.:-)

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.

Next - Magic Muffins

8 comments:

  1. Oh that looks delish!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe and the pictures.

    Hope you have a great time at your bridge group, and I'm looking forward to reading about the magic muffins. It's been so long since I made muffins of any kind ... magic or otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. I have not baked homemade bread in a long time. I think I need to do it again. Great recipe- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. great recipe! thanks so much! i am adding you to my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really looks scrumptious! You might not have as many leftovers as you think! Thank you for sharing with us, and I will also be interested in those magic muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm...this too looks delicious...sure wish I lived closer...smile... You would have to share some of this with me...lol

    You must be an amazing cook/baker!!

    Blessings,
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness! It seems like you're baking and cooking something new, impressive, and delicious every day! I don't know how you keep up with all of it. Thanks for the recipe yet again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice blog you have :) I was reading about this bread just today -- I googled Mexican New Years traditions out of curiosity, and recipes for this popped up. Your version looks great. I have one Weight Watchers cookbook which I use occasionally -- the recipes are usually very tasty, but they often say "serves 6" when I find they serve only 2! Could it be us?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats lovely bread, I love the name of it as well,

    ReplyDelete