Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I did it!

Happy Wednesday to all!  Are you having a good week?

Do you remember this?

Doesn't it look luscious?

I posted this back in February and had no idea if, or when, I might try this for us here.  Well, the time came this past week-end! 

Now, my final product will not look like the above picture.  I had no plans to plate it to display as the food stylist did here.  As I was not serving it to a large group, I opted not to decorate it with whipped cream.  The recipe comes from IDEALS Sweetheart edition, Volume 43, No. 1.

STRAWBERRY BAVARIAN SPONGE TORTE
2 (3-oz.) packages strawberry gelatin
1 cup boiling water
2 packages frozen sliced strawberries, slightly thawed (I used one 16-oz. package)
1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
1 sponge cake, cut in cubes (I used a Sara Lee frozen pound cake)
Whipped cream to decorate
Fresh berries to decorate
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.  Add berries and allow to partially thicken.  Fold in 1/2 pint whipped cream.  Toss with cake cubes and place in a greased springform or large mixing bowl.  Chill torte overnight.  Turn out on platter and frost with whipped cream.  Garnish with whole strawberries. Serves 10 to 12.

This is my version.

Pretty in the bowl.

After a serving.

It would truly be an impressive dessert molded in the springform pan, then turned out and decorated with whipped cream!  I will remember this one for the future!  In fact, I already have an idea of when I will make it again!

The strawberry theme of the dessert puts me in mind of spring.  After all, the first official day of spring is a week from tomorrow!  Thoughts of spring may be a bit premature, however.  We have a very wintry forecast for overnight tonight!  Thursday's high temperatures are predicted to be at least 30 degrees colder than Tuesday's!  Winter just doesn't seem to want to let go.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

14 comments:

  1. Nellie, You made it your own. I bet that was so good. I love the way it looks. I do not eat strawberries because of the tiny seeds, but this would tempt me. LOL Blessings for a wonderful day, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. YUM! This looks just fantastic, and with the "better" price on fresh strawberries at my favorite store this week, I plan to purchase some of them! The fact that this recipe uses frozen berries is a real boost, since they are always available, and I just might have to try this soon. Thanks for the share, and try not to get blown away out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Nellie! You did do it and it looks mighty tempting. Strawberries always remind me of Spring too. I'm not sure why though. The best strawberries in these parts are usually in the Summer, lol...

    Your dessert sounds so refreshing and spring like. I would love to dive in! Thank you so much for sharing, Nellie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nellie , the dessert looks so yummy good , can't wait to bake it , yes I also like the idea you put your own twist on it ... now gimmie a slice ;-D thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dessert looks and sounds delicious!! I would love to taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally saw some decent looking strawberries in the store, so this recipe will be one for that after they come down in price.
    I think it sounds wonderful. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good but I won't be making it since I have a severe allergy to strawberries. Sigh....
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that is super yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious! Back in the day, we used to do something with similar ingredients, only you poked holes in the cake and added the jello, chilled it and then added the other stuff to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is great when you take a recipe and put your own spin on it...and that looks a lot easier than the original and tastes just as good, I'm sure.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week. I am off to the hospital to spend the night with Mom and our little Anna! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the way you think my friend! I love making something easier!

    I'll bet it was delicious!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strawberries and whipped cream sound heavenly. Easier is better any day. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so colorful. It is not in strawberry color!

    ReplyDelete