Monday, March 10, 2014

Remembering....

I send you wishes for a happy Monday!  Hopefully it will be a good day for you and set the tone for the week.

The week-end seemed to be all about remembering.  Yes, we remembered to advance our clocks and other timepieces an hour before we went to bed on Saturday night.  It would seem, however, that this computer has adjusted to the time change a bit more smoothly than the adults in the household.:-)

When The Husband and I were married in August of 1969, we located in a small town about an hour away.  As it was too late to obtain a teaching position in that county, I had a daily 60-mile round trip to my position in the county in which I had formerly lived.  It was the next school year that I was able to be placed in a school in a location nearby where we were living.  My assignment was for a first grade classroom - one of three teachers there.  My experience had been in 4th and 5th grade classes prior to that, so EL, a dynamic, petite lady, became a great example for me to emulate as we were all in an open space, teaching 100 first graders together. 

Three moves, three children, and over 40 years didn't help maintain close contact, though I was saddened to hear of the passing of EL.  Her memorial service was Sunday afternoon.  After dealing with Alzheimer's for several years, EL was 87.

For over 36 years I have known NB.  I remember many occasions she has reached out in friendship, especially at the passing of my mother in 1983.  In ensuing years, we shared the responsibility of leading a Girl Scout Troop, with all the fun that goes along with that.  This week-end, I spent some time in the kitchen preparing food to take to her house at the passing of her mother at age 97.

After a 25-year teaching career, I retired 11 years ago.  It wasn't long until I thought it was time to resume a hobby I had enjoyed some years earlier - playing bridge.  So - off I went to the Senior Center where a group was already formed.  This was where I met JS.  Her cheerfulness and helpfulness were two qualities that drew me to enjoy her company.  Sadly, at age 76 and after several battles with cancer, JS left us on Friday.

So - my time has been spent remembering and being thankful for friends that have influenced us through the years.  What a joy it has been to know these people during my life.   It is my hope that I will be known for being a friend to others.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.


14 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Nellie,
    I am glad that you are focusing on the good memories. I am sure they added so much to your life.
    I am so glad you are enjoying this stage of life.
    You have lived such a full life.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie, I am so sorry for your loss of dear friends. It's good you have pleasant memories of them . Do you believe there is a reason people come and go in our life? I do. Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you've had some very special people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our lives become richer for knowing people such as the ones you have mentioned here. Thank you for sharing your memories with us, and I'm praying for peace and comfort for the families of these dear ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to lose friends, but nice to remember the happy memories they left us. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. its so sad when you lose our love ones, moving brings many memories back to us, but they are never realy gone if we keep them in our heart, take care sweet lady, don't be sad,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie , it's so sad to lose someone you love and respect .
    Dear Nellie they are not gone , listen to your wonderful memories and you will feel them in your heart . Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless your heart, Nellie. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends. The memories will become even more cherished as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nellie, I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend!

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie, I'm sorry for the loss of your good friends. That's a hard thing to endure and my sympathies are with you! Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry to hear of the death of your friends but it sounds like you have many happy memories and they will live on in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for your loss. Isn't it funny how some people come into our lives, have an impact and then move on. Sometimes they enter our lives again years later. Sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking about you Nellie, its always hard to say goodbyes.. Im thankful we have memories to carry us through...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So hard to say goodbye to those we love. Sending you prayers and hugs across the miles.

    ReplyDelete