Friday, February 28, 2014

It may be time....

....for you to begin working on this.

King Cake!

For this recipe, I have combined one from the Weight Watchers 2006 cookbook and one from allrecipes.com that was submitted by Jo.

KING CAKE
1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 envelope active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the warm water and 1 teaspoon of the granulated sugar.   Sprinkle in the yeast and let stand until foamy, 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, the remaining granulated sugar, nutmeg, and the salt.  Make a well in the center and add the egg and butter.  Stir until the dough starts to gather around the spoon. 
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured counter; knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes, adding a little more flour if the dough becomes too sticky.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray; put the dough in the bowl.  Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm spot  until it doubles in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down the dough, roll it into a rectangle (about 10x16 inches).  Sprinkle the filling evenly over the dough; roll up like a jelly roll, beginning at the wide side.  Bring the ends together to form an oval shape.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray (I used a Silpat on my baking sheet), and place the oval ring on it.  Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until puffy, 30-45 minutes longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake until golden, about 30 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool.
FILLING
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (I used coconut palm sugar)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Mix filling ingredients together.  Sprinkle over dough rectangle as instructed above.
GLAZE
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 (or less) Tablespoon water
- Blend together, adding water slowly to the sugar to reach desired consistency.  Spread over cooled cake.  Sprinkle with purple, green, and gold-colored sugars while glaze is still wet.

The plastic baby that is customarily placed in this cake is not included in the batter as the cake bakes, but put in place underneath the cake after it is baked.  The person who receives the serving of cake with the baby in it is to be host at the next Mardi Gras party.  A store like Hobby Lobby or a cake decorating supply store will probably have the necessary "extras" for the cake - sugars, plastic baby, etc.  I happened to find the colored sugars at a local grocery store.

We have come to a Friday this week, and it is the last day of the month.  The big question is:  Will March come in like a lion, or will it come in like a lamb?

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

15 comments:

  1. The cake looks delicious!!

    March is to come in like a lion here. {:-

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope my ovens are installed so i can make kings cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake sounds fabulous - but then you always make fabulous things to eat. I think here it will come in as half a lion. Snow is due to start falling this afternoon - probably 3 inches or so. Thanks for visiting my blog already today. You are a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nellie, It sort of looks like a big coffee cake with fancy frosting....if it is, I could eat the cake without frosting .LOL I live coffee cakes. I use to make them and fresh bread many eons ago. Hope you have a great weekend. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those King Cakes. What fun and I think I have had them with the baby actually baked IN them...Crazy, huh?
    I am off sugar so none for me but it does look delicious- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Probably not the best for me, though,since I have to watch my carbs... :-( I'll share it, though, because lots of my friends don't have to worry about such trivialities! :-) Hoping for "lamby" weather, both coming and going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nellie , your King Cake is gorgeous and I know it taste good . We will wrap up Mardis next week with out last parade ... bur what a wonderful month it has been .
    Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look delicious.
    So many are still struggling with frigid temps and snow.
    Hope you have a nice weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cake! Now I know what a king cake is, I guess I didn't know and couldn't picture it in my head.
    Well I am happy to say, it will be coming in like a roaring lion. Very happy about that this year. In years past it has been a very quiet little lamb.
    I hope you have a very nice weekend and I am hoping it comes in like a lamb for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Nellie, sounds like we're coming in like a lion here...

    Cake is so pretty!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  12. that cake looks delicious :P
    i like your post
    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, I'd have to find some "extra" time to make this one. I sure haven't had any lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful cake and I love the tradition behind it. Josie and I are going to make shamrock sugar cookies this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum Nellie! Enjoy your March 1st!

    ReplyDelete