Monday, February 3, 2014

Just in case....

....you are looking for something to serve that will help with celebrating the Chinese New Year, here is something that I will share with you.

Chinese-style Csbbage!

This is a recipe that I have made for many years!  It comes from Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two Cookbook from 1964.  While Friday was the date marked as the Chinese New Year, this is always good to eat!

CHINESE-STYLE CABBAGE
1 Tablespoon oil, canola or olive
3 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 cup chopped celery
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in skillet.  Drop in vegetables; stir well.  Cover tightly.  Steam 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring several times.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.  4 serving.

There have been some comments from new followers!   Welcome, and thank you for reading along!

It that groundhog had been here on February 2, he would not have seen his shadow.  We woke to fog, clouds, and a misty rain all day.  The rain is to continue for the first part of the week, so perhaps we will make up some of our shortage of precipitation for the year.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

14 comments:

  1. That looks good and very healthy. Thanks for sharing this. I'll sure will try that.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why but for some reason my comment
    publishes twice on your blog.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really does look good! I'll be sharing it on Facebook, too, and I'm sure some of my FB friends will want to try it, just as I will! Have a wonderful day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, My best friend used to make this all the time, for special get togethers. Hope you are doing well. oxox,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really rooting for Peyton last night Nellie :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up eating a lot of cooked cabbage so it is not a favorite of mine. This recipe is different though and I certainly would love to taste it. Set a place for me please as I will put on my snow shoes and be right there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Year of the Horse! I was in Josie's second grade classroom this morning doing a lesson. So much fun. Thank you for the recipe. I'm always looking for more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nellie , love cabbage and this is a must try , I can smell the aroma HMmmm good .Thanks for sharing :).

    P.S. Nellie , I enjoy you blog , I get good reading material and books for my kids , they love reading . I have four (K thru 6th grade , so I will be around for a very long time and thank you for visiting my blog ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. More snow here again today.
    My first issue of Tea Time came today. It is the issue with Downton Abbey. : ) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a yummy recipe. I think it would be perfect for Chinese New Year.
    Have a lovely week and enjoy that lovely rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great sounding recipe. My hubby would love it!
    Our groundhog saw ours bright and clear. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm, that looks interesting and worth a try. It's always fun to try something new. Yup - 6 more weeks of winter. M says it would be 6 more weeks anyway, even if the groundhog kept quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nellie!
    We woke to fog, clouds, and a misty rain on Groundhog Day too and he still saw his shadow AND I'm in Pennsylvania! Go figure!

    I just checked my calendar and February 17th is Cabbage Day, yes a day dedicated to cabbage, lol...I'll be saving this recipe for sure as I have no idea where my Betty Crocker book is, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Nellie...

    ReplyDelete