Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Anytime is a good time.....

....for soup, in my opinion!:-)  In fact, we enjoy soup the year round here. 

Lentil Soup ready to cook.

Ready to serve!  Yum!



Lentil Soup has been a favorite here for a number of years.  The recipe I use comes from a Southern Living cookbook from 1987.

LENTIL SOUP
1 1/2 cups dried lentils
6 cups water (I used part vegetable broth as I omitted the next ingredient.)
1 Tablespoon beef-flavored bouillon granules
1 (16-oz.) can whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
2 Tablespoons parsley flakes
1 large onion, diced
1 medium  carrot, thinly sliced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup chopped ham
- Combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven.  Bring to a boil; cover reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Remove bay leaf.  Yield:  12 cups

NBCSP is broadcasting the women's figure skating Olympic short program.  I have memories of our  three daughters being especially interested in watching this event when they were still at home.  I, who have managed to trip on my own toes walking in flat shoes across a flat surface:-), am always amazed at how these skaters skim across ice on that thin blade!

Better news for Tennessee basketball!  Georgia came to town last night, and the Vols came out with a 67-48 victory! 

I send wishes for a good Wednesday to everyone!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

15 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, and I'll be sharing it on my Facebook page! I also enjoy watching the figure skating, and am amazed by the balance and abilities that are displayed by those who are more sure-footed than I will EVER be! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this delicious soup recipe. I have always loved to watch the figure skating. It simply amazes me! Have a good afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup sounds wonderful Nellie. It would really taste good today as I have nothing planned for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love lentil soup. i love soup! i should make some of this for the shelter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make lentil soup but haven't for a number of years now. I may try it again using your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing and enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nellie, I love soups !!! You said you could eat it any time, me too. Hope you had a fun day. We had some thawing, the roof snow is gone, one less worry. Right now it's pretty out, I am loving God's sweet sunshine. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Neelie , two words describe your soup ... yummy and delicious . You are so right , we also eat soup year round . Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for a good Lentil Soup recipe. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love soup year around, the Cobblers are coming next week for soup.. Not sure what kind yet but there will be soup! Yours looks yummy! Thanx for the recipe will give it a try soon! I too am amazed at all there skaters ect.. I have trouble just walking.. Enjoy your evening! And thank you for your visits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, we're a family of soup lovers also, and your Lentil soup recipe is right up our alley.
    Looks scrumptious !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love soups too. I think your lentil soup looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MMMMM yummy. And yes anytime is a good time for soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Lentil Soup---and we had some for lunch. But--yours I'm sure would be much better. I love it with little green onions in it.. YUM...

    Glad the UT Men's team WON....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you about the skaters - it's amazing that anyone can do that. :)
    Your soup look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super sabroso me encanta es mi plato preferido,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete