Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Last Tuesday....

Happy Tuesday to everyone!  Has your week begun in a good way?

If you have been following this blog for awhile, you know that I am involved with the United Methodist Women - in my local church, in the district, and in the conference.  Last Tuesday was the day for the first General Meeting for my local church for this year.  It was the meeting for emphasis  on Call to Prayer and Self-Denial.  As has been customary, those attending shared a soup lunch together.

Pasta with spinach.

Potato Soup.

Crackers and water were our accompaniments, and there was no dessert. 

I had been asked to present a book review for the program.

From the 2013 reading list.

There are five categories in the Reading Program - Nurturing for Community, Education for Missions, Spiritual Growth, Social Action, and Leadership Development.  A Country for All is listed in the Nurturing for Community category.  UMW members are encouraged to participate in the Reading Program, keep a record of what books are read (at least one from each category), and receive appropriate credit.  With the in-depth review that I gave, members present are able now to count this as one of their books for this year.

We had an official high temperature here yesterday of 65 degrees, and there was some rain last night.  That may have erased any signs of snow that were lingering.  Some of you are still buried in snow, with more on the way!  Surely spring will come soon for you!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.


12 comments:

  1. That potato soup wouldn't be a self denial for me unless I didn't ate any. It looks so good.

    Yep, we are waiting for another snow storm. It must be very costly for the municipalities for snow removal.

    Stay warm, Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. 65 degrees...be still my heart.
    The soups sound good except for the spinach part. I had an overdose of that growing up. LOL
    You are to be commended for the good work you do for your church Nellie!
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good sunny morning, Sister! Those soups really do look luscious, even the one with spinach! I have found that the "slimy" texture of that important food disappears when it's mixed with those other ingredients. The book sounds very interesting, and I'm sure the ladies enjoyed learning about it. Have a terrific Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband would love that potato soup, his fave! Lucky you with temp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, that potato soup looks incredible. I am always drawn to the creamy soups, probably because they are not as good for you. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, that potato soup looks incredible. I am always drawn to the creamy soups, probably because they are not as good for you. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Kim, potato soup and any creamy soup is my fav. I know the others enjoyed your review of this book. We are enjoying warm weather here in GA too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nellie, This has certainly been a soup winter. I think soup is comforting. We are having some thawing today...I just hope it goes slowly. Take care,xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that you are involved in your church in such a meaningful way. Your soups look wonderful and I take it no dessert was because of "self-denial"?

    65? I cannot believe it. We are supposed to get above freezing today for the first time in 35!!! days. The sun is out but the wind is bitter. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. the potato soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both soups look delicious.
    Wow 65 - that is nice. It was 40 here and it felt like spring had arrived. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful day of fellowship, and the soups look yummy too! Enjoy your warmer temps, we are supposed to get warmer too...fingers crossed!

    xo Kat

    ReplyDelete