Thursday, February 13, 2014

That groundhog....

.....has totally lost his credibility!

Wednesday afternoon around 2:30 after about an hour of snow.

Thursday morning around 7:15!

So - it is a good day to stay indoors and get to that cookie baking.:-)

Chilled rounds of dough.

Ready for the oven.

Cooling on the racks.

I am not yet finished with them, and you will see the finished product another day.  Until then, here is the recipe for you in case you want to try some for yourself.

I have had this recipe for about 35 years.  It comes from a calendar that was published by our local bank.

SUGAR COOKIES
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In mixing bowl sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.  On low speed of mixer cut in butter until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- In small mixing bowl, beat eggs; add sugar and lemon extract, and beat thoroughly.  Blend egg mixture into the flour/butter mixture.  Chill dough.
- On lightly floured board, roll to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut with shaped cutter.  Bake at 375 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.  Yield: 2 to 3 dozen.  Of course, the yield depends on the size of cookie cutter you use.  The cooled cookies may be decorated any way you choose. 

I want to welcome Blackberry Lane as a new follower!  Also, there are some comments from others who have not been commenting.  Welcome to you as well!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

17 comments:

  1. Looks like you got a decent amount of snow.: )
    It's snowing here like crazy again - we have about 6 inches so far.

    I think I'll do a little baking today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it looks like a good day to stay in and cozy baking! I love sugar cookies and appreciate this tried and true recipe.
    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks SO good.

    For no reason I can discern, KTown uses the airport as its official measurements and the airpot waaaaay over there got 5 1/2 inches I think they said. I can't for the life of me figure why they use that distant place for measurements. Anyhoo, we got about 8 inches here where I am. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather always used to say that you can never trust a groundhog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, that groundhog has lost his credibility with lots of us! Of course, I never trusted him much anyway, so it's no great loss. Those cookies are just adorable, and I'm sure they'll look even prettier when you get through with them. Have a lovely snow day, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nellie, What a scary looking snow...we just had it like that our last time. You are the queen of heart shaped cookie baking...wow, perfect ! My mom used to tell my girls that those "Archway" cookies in her jar, were her very own recipe and she made them herself.:):) They believed her for so long. Now they laugh about it...it keeps them remembering my mother, that's good. Please be very careful if you go out.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie, What a scary looking snow...we just had it like that our last time. You are the queen of heart shaped cookie baking...wow, perfect ! My mom used to tell my girls that those "Archway" cookies in her jar, were her very own recipe and she made them herself.:):) They believed her for so long. Now they laugh about it...it keeps them remembering my mother, that's good. Please be very careful if you go out.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess your groundhog is not listening to the weather forecast.
    The Sugar Cookies are looking yummy.
    Happy Valentine Day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely cookies. I can't wait to see them finished.
    I need to do some baking.
    I love making sugar cookies.
    Have a lovely day today Nellie, stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brings back memories of being a room mother and baking and decorating dozens of heart shaped cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. we just finished with the snow blower and they told us we would only get a dusting. it's been snowing for 10 hours! i made 300 stuffed cabbage for the shelter for tomorrow so mu neighbors won't be getting their heart cookies tomorrow. they will be sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nellie , trust a grounghog ? Are you kidding ;-D . you can go outside , hold your finger in the air and make a guess as good as the groundhog . We got snow in my neck of the woods that's still on the ground , something that don't happen often .
    The cookies is gotgeous , pinning them , I know they are delicous . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i gave up on the rascally groundhog a long time ago! Love your cookies, keeping this recipe. Happy Valentine's Day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely looks like a good day to be indoors baking sugar cookies. I have two girls that would be glad to help with the icing and sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like yummy recipe. Sooo need something warm in the belly. We had fourteen inches of snow today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Snow in pictures is always so pretty, so restful and peaceful - then reality sets in when one has to deal with it or go out in it. We need to fire Mother Nature. Sorry I haven't been around lately. Mario is just in too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cookies look so good. Blackberry Lane is one of my favorite blog buddies. I know you'll enjoy getting to know her. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete