Thursday, February 6, 2014

Definitely "soup weather...."

Yes, this is definitely good weather for soup!  There is something about a steaming bowl or cup of soup that seems to bring a ray of sunshine into a cold, cloudy day.  While we are not having the snow here that many of you are experiencing, we are having some of the coldest temperatures than we have had for several winters. 

Since this is Potato Month, I decided it was time for some of our favorite Potato Soup!  This recipe comes from the 1987 edition of The Southern Living Cookbook.

CHUNKY POTATO SOUP
3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
2 cups diced potatoes
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.  Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly  Gradually add milk; stir in potatoes, onion, salt, and pepper.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened and potatoes are done.  Yield: 5 cups

Choose your toppings!  

Bacon bits, shredded cheese, and sour cream add the finishing touch!:-)

I am really concerned about those of you who have had ice on top of snow, and then more snow by the week-end!  I hope you do not have any power outages and stay safe and warm!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your  comments.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like another winner to me! Have a great day, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had the best cajun potato soup a few nights ago. it has shrimp and andoille in it. i have to recreate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a restaurant in a nearby town that makes the best potato bacon soup. I have yet to re-create it but I might try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love potato soup and this recipe sounds delicious. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So yummy one of our favorites. It is soup weather for sure right now.
    Thank you for sharing your lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does beef stew count as soup? Cause I love me some beef stew!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love potato soup and chowders on any kind of winter day.
    Today we are having a beautiful sunny day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nellie, I love soup....any time. I think it's because I am crazy about one pot meals. :):) Hope you are staying warm. We are colder here today...but it's not snowing, the sun is out...love it. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love Potato Soup... That sounds wonderful and made my mouth water...ha

    It's been so cloudy and cold --I am yearning for some sunshine... You???

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nellie , love potato soup and this is a winner and so easy ... you can add shrimp , chopped ham or it's good like it is , you can't miss with this soup , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love potato soup. One of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nellie,
    Your post is so timely for me! I made potato skins for our Super Bowl snack supper and froze the innards thinking I would make potato soup. Kitely loves it but I have never found a good recipe. I think this might be the one :)
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nellie! Your soup looks so good. I'm giggling because I made potato soup and cornbread for our dinner! ;)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your soup sounds and looks wonderful! Its always a soup day up here so just may have to try this! Enjoy your day Nellie!

    ReplyDelete