Saturday, February 22, 2014

In honor of....

Happy Saturday to you!  I hope the week-end is looking like a good one for you.

I know that Abraham Lincoln and George Washington have had their birthdays brought together to celebrate as President's Day.  However, I still remember each one on his own particular birthday.  So, today, here is something to remind us of George Washington.

Another book I used in the classroom.

Our first President and the original colonies.

Oops! I'm sorry this turned sideways,  I'm not sure I understand why.:-)

This was from the DAR program where the women's chorus sang last Saturday.

Now, I know we've all heard the story about George Washington and the cherry tree.  That may or may not be accurate.  Nonetheless, we will enjoy cherries for breakfast this morning, and sing Happy Birthday to George Washington, the Father of our Country!

Have a wonderful day!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments. 


9 comments:

  1. Nellie, I have had the pleasure of visiting Mount Vernon. I learned many interesting this about George Washington and his family. It's a great place to visit if you ever get the chance. I'll have some cherry yogurt to celebrate.:):) Hope you are having some sunshine, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful to honor the past Presidents, Nellie. I think I told you that our SweetCheeks has taken an interest in the presidents and wowed them at school with her knowledge of Washington AND Lincoln...knowing facts even her teacher didn't know-like Lincoln's two vice presidents' names. I hope this next generation takes a lot more interest in running the country than the present generation does. I hate to see us losing rights and we are losing them. okay-off my soapbox! Happy Saturday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always good to remember the individual presidents on their special days. Washington was a very wise man, who sacrificed much to be the leader of our new nation, and he knew the importance of prayer. I agree with NanaDiana about the current state of our country, but I keep remembering that GOD is still in control! Have a cheery, cherry-filled day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure George Washington would approve of you remembering his birthday. By coincidence, I just ate 4 dries cherries before checking your blog. I wonder id George W. would approve of that too. lol...
    The sun is shining and the snow is melting so it looks like a nice weekend.
    Happy weekend to you.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Oops, it should read "dried" and not "dries" "if" and not "id" I just wish I wasn't so quick to push publish, lol...
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, I would make cherry pie today. I just let that slip away. How nice that you remembered.
    That looks like a nice book too.
    Have a nice Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We visited Mount Vernon, too, many years ago and it was so informative. Thank you for this posting today. God bless your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often wonder why things change like holidays and such. What is the motivation? And what makes something important enough to be come a holiday. And why are all businesses required to close on a federal holiday holiday.


    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nellie...this is wonderful...seems Abe and George got bunched together instead of having their own days, as they should have. Thank you for reminding us!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete