Thursday, November 7, 2013

Always good to have on hand....

The week is moving right along, and here it is Thursday already!  I hope you have had a good week thus far!

With the weeks that are ahead, I find it very helpful to have some good vegetable soup on hand.  It is low-calorie and reheats easily.

I have been reviewing my recipe file, and this one came to my attention.  It is a newspaper clipping from a number of years ago, though I cannot say exactly when - or which newspaper.

CABBAGE SOUP

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
1/2 large head of cabbage, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
28 ounces water (use tomato can for measuring)
2 to 4 bouillon cubes, to taste
Chopped fresh parsley

- Combine all ingredients except parsley in a large stockpot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for one hour.  Garnish with parsley.  Soup can be frozen.  Makes 3 quarts, serves eight.

Cooking time is done!

I listed the recipe as it is printed; however, I discovered I had only crushed tomatoes, so that is what I used rather than the chopped.  Also, I used vegetable broth rather than water and bouillon cubes. 

You can easily tell that this is a good low-calorie recipe, just the thing to have around during this time of year - or anytime!:-)

There are some new followers!  Thank you for coming along.

Thanks to all of you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

15 comments:

  1. Hi, That looks yummy! I agree prefect for this time of year! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! This is a really good, hearty soup, with NO guilt! I think that I might even saute a chopped onion in just a dab of olive oil before adding the rest of the ingredients, and that would still be low-cal. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade veggie soup. Your recipe sounds delicious. Thank you Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds great and you can add other things too if you want to make it hearty, I could use the low cal version for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious, Nellie. My hubby loves cabbage soup. I hardly ever use those bullion cubes-I don't think they do much for a dish- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are big soup eaters around here, especially when the weather is cool and definitely when it gets cold. This sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie, That is a good soup to keep on hand...just add a salad or 1/2 a sandwich...the soup is filling but very low cal. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nellie , this soups is so inviting and justthe soup to keep on the stove on chilly days , kids get fome from school and can have a nice cup of soup and it won't ruin their dinner , thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nellie... and thanks so much for your visit... your soup looks delish!... just right for these chilly Autumn evenings... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nellie, thanks for your comments on my blog. I'm finding it harder to make my rounds lately.
    That soup looks yummy and I'll have to try this. I really love cabbage especially this time of year.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cabbage is a staple with Chris's Polish family. I've not attempted soup. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your soup looks so yummy and this is a perfect time of the year for it! Might just have to have some tomorrow!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds great. I too read in newspapers that Cabbages are very good for health. Soup looks colorful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I am going to try this I love this cool time of year. Delicious. B

    ReplyDelete
  15. As you say It's always good to have soup on hand and waiting in the freezer for that cold snap. It's Spring here Nellie, but I had some home made vegetable broth tonight as it has been quite cold. Very changeable weather at this time of year. Yesterday the Max.was 28C.
    I love your beautiful photos on Tuesday's post, especially 'Early morning sky'.
    Have a happy week-end.
    Betty ox

    ReplyDelete