Friday, November 1, 2013

It's time....

....to give those leftover Halloween goodies a little help out the door!  I remember past  years when I was sure to buy a particular kind of candy to distribute so I would be able to bake a Candy Bar Cake when Halloween was over!  What a temptation!  So, a number of years ago I simply ceased stocking up on candy for Halloween.  Instead, this year's treats were small bags of Annie's bunnies, small bags of tiny pretzels, and only a single chocolate ball.  The leftovers will be "gifted" to the Munchkins.:-)  I'm sure that will make Munchomom very happy.:-)

So, it's time to turn the calendar over to November and focus on all things Thanksgiving!  This is actually my favorite time of the year! 

When I was teaching, we would spend these weeks learning about the Pilgrims and even presenting a play, complete with Thanksgiving feast!  Of course, there were books to read and have available in the classroom.  However, my favorite story isn't one that comes from the Pilgrims of the 1600's.

This is the story of a modern-day Pilgrim.

Molly has come to the United States with her parents from another country, and it is her first  year to be in public school in the United States.  When given the assignment to create a Pilgrim doll, she asks her mother for help.  The interpretation of what it meant to be a "Pilgrim" is quite different to Molly's mother, who sees herself as a Pilgrim, too.  After reading the book, I would follow up by showing the video.  It was excellent for teaching students how to be kind to others, regardless of how different from themselves the "others" may seem. 

Barbara Cohen also wrote a follow-up book Make a Wish, Molly.  Both are excellent.

The week-end is upon us.  I hope you have some good plans for special times.  Take care!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

11 comments:

  1. I have not read this book, but it sounds like a very good selection, and I might try to find it. Such stories are important for children--AND adults--as they teach understanding and gratitude. My weekend will be a tad busier than usual, but it should be a fun time! I hope yours will also be enjoyable. Have a wonderful day, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly's Pilgrim sounds like a great book to read to kids of any age.
    I don't have to worry about left over candies this year as I only bought one bag of small chocolate bars as we don't get Trick or Treaters anymore and my hubby was the happy recipient.

    No special plans for the weekend.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your book reports. I love that about November, the Pilgrim books.
    I have never heard of these but I think I would like them.
    Have a wonderful weekend Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No trick or treaters here because of the rain I guess. I have 2 bags of milky way candy bars. They are very good used in cookies.

    I know that you must have been a wonderful teacher Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, We never have trick or treaters...so I never buy candy. I usually send my g.kids a card with a bit of money in it. We live to far for them to just come for quick trip. Thos books look like something I would have loved reading when I was younger. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nellie , my kids reads a lot on rainy , chilly weekend days , they prefer reading to TV , I always look forward toward your book reports ,hope you have a great weekend. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie - it's nice to meet you. I came over from Carole's blog after seeing you there. I'm Mariodacat's mom. That sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the recview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for my Halloween card. You are such a thoughtful friend. I always appreciate your book recommendations. I think this book would be something that Josie would appreciate. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband took the extra candy to his high school! We didn't buy much based on last year...only 9 kids...this year down to 6!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you just love November? I do....

    We don't have trick-or-treaters up here in this area --so I don't have to buy candy anymore. BUT--when I did, I always bought candy that I did NOT like.. That way I wouldn't eat it! ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought tons of candy and had tons of kids show up... but still tons of candy left over. Yep, I'm in trouble now!

    ReplyDelete