Friday, November 8, 2013

Not the first....

Happy Friday to you!  The first week of November is behind  us now.  Have you had a good week?  Do you have some good plans for the week-end?

At this time of year most of us possibly give some thought to the Pilgrims and their role in our celebration of Thanksgiving.  The Pilgrims were actually not the first settlers in the "new land," but they certainly have our focus this month.

There are some books that I found useful in the classroom during this time.

We even sang the first one!:-)

Another source for information.

Our Pilgrim study led us to immigration.

The settlers at Jamestown and Plymouth were the early immigrants.  The ensuing years brought many immigrants to the New World, and we would learn about some of them in the classroom.

There is even a book for little hands.

The Munchkins enjoyed this when they were small.

There is even a book that I enjoy.:-)

I enjoy rereading the stories and recipes that are in this book, and at times use it for inspiration.

Once again, I want to acknowledge a new follower!  Thank you so much for coming along.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

13 comments:

  1. Those books all look good, and I agree that that last one would probably be a good source for recipes and other inspiration for Thanksgiving gatherings. It's so important for us to remember our good fortune, as we are blessed beyond measure, especially when compared to millions of folks in other lands. Have a beautiful, chilly day, Sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me excited for Thanksgiving. I can't wait for turkey and dressing! But most importantly, giving thanks. Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far November is starting out quite difficult for me, but I have managed to survive the first week. *sigh

    I LOVE the cover art on that last book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, thanks. I have some wonderful classical music playing beside me, and what did I just catch myself humming? "Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go... " HA! Boy, that was sure reaching down deep into the ol' memory bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nellie , The story of Thanksgiving , my kids love it , I collect cookbooks because to put my own twists and turns on the recipes.Thanks for sharing :).

    PS: Andouille sausage is made by Johnsonville , they make many different types of sausage , look in the sausage aisle with the package lunch meats .

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice collection of Thanksgiving Day books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always interested in stories of immigrants.
    I am now reading a book by Alice Munro called "The View from Castle Rock". The stories are about people who migrated to Canada from Scotland. Alice Munro gathered information about her ancestors, and she used this information to craft these stories that are based on real life experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these kind of books - history made fun!!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books for the occasion Nellie. I hope that you have a great Thanksgiving. We had ours in early October. Happy Thanksgiving.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love books, too, Nellie. Our SweetCheeks age 6 loves her books, too. She knows more about George Washington than most seniors in high school and is now moving on to John Adams. She has a deep love for learning. I hope that lasts her lifetime. There is nothing like books to enrich someone's life- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. those look like great books. I'll bet you were an awesome teacher and the students probably just loved you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a very nice collection of old books Nellie.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Josie will be helping me this weekend decorate for Thanksgiving. Halloween is finally put away. I always enjoy your book posts. Lots of great ideas!

    ReplyDelete